6 week old silkies getting red in the comb.... (pics)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chicken-owner-31, Dec 29, 2010.

1. chicken-owner-31

chicken-owner-31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    NV
    ....can I assume that they are boys at this point?

I have 10 Silkies from Welp, and 2 of them are turning red in the comb. I know that doen't mean that I have 8 hens, but I figured since silkies were hard to sex, them getting red this early was a pretty sure sign at least those two were boys.

Pics of the two, they were actually 5.5 weeks old in these pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This one is even more red now:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2010
  2. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    Looks like you've got 2 boys alright [​IMG] Here are my 2 at 10 weeks [​IMG]

BOY:

[​IMG]

GIRL:

[​IMG]

lol BIG difference. Yours are adorable though. Congrats [​IMG]

3. JustAChickenLittle&More

JustAChickenLittle&More Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Florida
    Are those little boys banty silkies? I am asking because I have a brooder full (that looks like all hens if I compare these pics), but they are twice the size and they are about a month old.

4. JustAChickenLittle&More

Nov 25, 2010
    Florida
    Magic that is a great lookin little boy and girl you got for yourself. [​IMG]

5. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    JustAChickenLittle&More :

Are those little boys banty silkies? I am asking because I have a brooder full (that looks like all hens if I compare these pics), but they are twice the size and they are about a month old.

Silkies are true bantams. You can't get standards [​IMG]
    JustAChickenLittle&More :

Magic that is a great lookin little boy and girl you got for yourself. [​IMG]

Thanksss [​IMG] I hatched them myself with the help of my own "magicpigeon" Homer (NOT a homing pigeon lol)​

Last edited: Dec 29, 2010
  6. chicken-owner-31

chicken-owner-31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    NV
    Thanks, I was pretty convinced they were boys because of the color in the combs.....thier top knots are still so small! The other 8 I'm on the fence about. Most of them I am watching behaviors and such and making my guess about that. I know it's still way too early to tell either way, but I'm writing down my guesses for each bird every couple of weeks and comparing. It's fun any way! My cochins are pretty obvious at this point (for the most part) but it stinks because I ended up with more roos than hens out of the 20. And most of the frizzles are roos. [​IMG] I'm going to give it another couple of weeks/months and then post pics of the ones that I am on the fence about. But I'm not re-homing anything until there is fighting. They are all so sweet!

7. JustAChickenLittle&More

Nov 25, 2010
    Florida
    Wow! I must be overfeeding my bantum silikes, they look like King Kong already. [​IMG]

8. acid_chipmunk

acid_chipmunk Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!

Mar 29, 2010
    Quote:Silkies are true bantams. You can't get standards [​IMG]

Actually that is not true. Our bantam Silkies here are actually in between the large fowl and bantam Silkies they have overseas. There are large fowl Silkies, we just don't have them here.

9. roocrazy

roocrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    minnesota!!!!
    Quote:Silkies are true bantams. You can't get standards [​IMG]

Actually that is not true. Our bantam Silkies here are actually in between the large fowl and bantam Silkies they have overseas. There are large fowl Silkies, we just don't have them here.

very true acid... though there are some projects of standards in the U.S.

10. aleigh

aleigh Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2016
    [​IMG]
    Boy or girl??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by