6 week old Silkies

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by beehiveginger, Feb 25, 2012.

1. beehiveginger

beehiveginger Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2012
    Any thoughts on coloring or gender? I know silkies are tough to know on gender but any guesses would be fun. One of the three is much larger, in body and legs. These three were hatched on the same day. [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
  2. chisNchickens

chisNchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Any guess would be strictly a guess. First pic too distant, second I would "guess" cockerel on the gray. Are they pure?

3. PoultryQueen29

PoultryQueen29 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Quote:
    x2. The way s/he is standing and the small crest and tail are leaning toward boy for me. If they are hatchery quality it could be a girl though. I had a hatchery silkie that had all boyish features and acted like a boy but turned out to be a girl. Bigger but same age can also mean that the silkie is a cockeral. Though my white silkie was the biggest and was also a girl so really nothing is for sure until you get eggs or hear crowing. Then again hens crow occasionally so eggs are the only way to know for sure.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
  4. beehiveginger

beehiveginger Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2012
    I also think the grey one is boy and the other two girls. What do you mean by hatchery quality? I got the eggs from a friend who breeds silkies and pekin bantams. My serrogate pekin hatched these eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by