6 week old silkies

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by new chicken mommy, Oct 19, 2008.

1. new chicken mommy

new chicken mommy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2008
    athens vt
    Hi , I read somewhere that silkies do not roost is this true? My silkies sit on the edge of a box that i have in there coop.

2. Missouri chick

Missouri chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Homer, GA
    Mine do, but I have a ramp up to the roost for them to get on. Even the little ones will get on top of a box or feeder to roost at night. Maybe it depends on what is available for them. ??????

3. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    False, silkies can and will roost. Some just prefer to sleep on the ground. This evening I saw one of my own six week old silkies roosting. If the roost is low enough, then they will roost unless they prefer the ground.

4. Smartie_Pants

Smartie_Pants Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    My silkie hen roosts on the top board every night.

5. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

SOME Silkies will roost if its only a few inches from the ground, or if they learn to climb other objects to get there. Because they cannot jump and fly as high as hard feathered birds, they tend to roost lower than other breeds, if they roos at all

The MAJORITY of Silkies will usually sleep in a pile on the floor no matter how many roosts you put in their coops. .

6. new chicken mommy

new chicken mommy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2008
    athens vt
    Thanks for the replies. I will build a short roost for them tomm.

7. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:That's exactly what mine do. They have a roost that is about 12-18 inches off the ground, and yet they still sleep in a pile-up. The baby BTW japs that are with them don't roost either, guess they like all the bodies to cuddle with! The japs and silkies are about 10-12 weeks old.

8. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Same here, mine dont roost either.... They huddle 2 or 3 to a box !!!!! Once and a while during the day I will see one on the roost, only b/c its 3" off the coop floor.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by