1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

6 Week Old Speckled Sussex, Lady or Roo?? Am I even a Speckled Sussex??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by JessWithChicks, Apr 17, 2012.

1. JessWithChicks

JessWithChicks Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2012
    Molalla, Oregon
    We have 8 chicks this spring but only 1 Speckled Sussex. According to all the "sexing research" I've done on this site I have a little SS that appears to be both lady and roo! His large pink comb and slight waddle development indicate a roo but her long slender body, lack of white chest and long tail feathers suggest lady. Any thoughts on this little cutie?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  2. Fluffballs

Fluffballs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2012
    With my chickies!
    looks like a lady to me.

3. JessWithChicks

Mar 24, 2012
    Molalla, Oregon
    That would be wonderful! Thanks for your input.

4. Looks like a rooster to me... Look at his/her tail... It's a very roo-ish tail.

5. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Judging by the comb and tail, I'm pretty sure you have a beautiful boy. SS are one of my favorite breeds. Every time I call my 1 yr old SS Maple, she comes running to me even if she's free ranging outside.

Actually, taking another look at the photos. This doesn't look like a Sussex. Sussex have pink to white legs, yours has yellow.

Maybe it's a Welsummer? Or another breed.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  6. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    The Rooster's pointed saddle and hackle feathers dont grow in until they are 3-4 months old, thier tail doesnt start growing longer until then either. That is when they start growing in thier adult feathers.
    Are you sure its an SS? It doent have any white on it. Looks more like a partridge color. And its a rooster

7. JessWithChicks

Mar 24, 2012
    Molalla, Oregon
    I noticed the same thing. She/He doesn't have any white "speckles" on the body. I guess this is a mystery bird all around!! Thanks all for your input. I suppose the real question here is what in the world is he/she? LOL...

8. JessWithChicks

Mar 24, 2012
    Molalla, Oregon
    By the way, Brownie looked like a Speckled Sussex chick when she was tiny. She is from a feed store so there could very easily be a mix-up or poor genetics. Now the excitement comes in figuring out what we have on our hands!!

9. Habibs Hens

Habibs Hens Cream Legbar Keeper

Mar 31, 2012
    London, UK
    My Coop
    to me the hackle and sadle feathers look very pullet to me

i have a whitestar pullet that is called the little balerina due to being small and having a high pointed tail

so tail is not always a giva way

:)

10. mother o' chicks72

mother o' chicks72 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    Portland, Oregon
    That looks like a welsummer rooster. I had one last year (had to get rid of him, we live in the city) but anyway, when he was that age he looked just like that. they look nearly identical to speckled sussex when they're tiny.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by