6 week old Speckled Sussex sex?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Tulips08, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Tulips08

Tulips08 Chirping

May 6, 2019
    Northern NJ
    Any insight on my 6 week-old SS? Breeder vent-sexed as pullet... at 6 weeks old still no tail feathers, but getting some pink wattles. Maybe too soon to tell? I'm hoping she is still a she!

If it's too soon I'll check back in a couple of weeks with updated pictures.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Free Ranging

Feb 2, 2009
    Southeast Louisiana
    I cannot tell for sure. Can you get a profile photo of it standing up showing legs and posture?

With those wattles and the color of the comb and wattles and basic body conformation I get a feeling of male, but don't do anything dramatic yet. I think there is still some hope, but maybe 75-25 male.

EggSighted4Life likes this.
  3. Tulips08

Tulips08 Chirping

May 6, 2019
    Northern NJ
    FullSizeRender.jpeg
    Best shot I could get for now. They're going outside for good today (we've had a coop delay) so I'm hoping I can get a better shot after they're outdoors.

4. cstephens1987

cstephens1987 Songster

Apr 25, 2019
    Carroll county, Maryland
    I agree. Leaning towards cockerel, but not certain. The wing coloring to me indicates possible cockerel as does the comb/wattle coloring at this age but it may be too early in this one

Tulips08 likes this.
  5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Free Ranging

Feb 2, 2009
    Southeast Louisiana
    Sorry but with that posture and legs I'm leaning even more to male. Still, I'd give it another week or two.

Tulips08 likes this.
  6. Tulips08

Tulips08 Chirping

May 6, 2019
    Northern NJ
    One more shot just for fun. 31C8C377-6374-4F50-985B-8BC98093FD90.jpeg

So since I was sold this from a breeder who sexed it as a pullet and I can’t have roosters, my best bet would be to contact the breeder about either a return or bird swap... right? I won’t do anything for another week or two... I’m just new to chickens still so I’m trying to prepare my next steps. (And I may actually have another boy... an EE, but I’m going to create a separate post for that).

Thanks again!

7. I think there is still a chance it might be a pullet. Speckled Sussex sometimes get pink combs early.

Tulips08 likes this.
  8. Tulips08

Tulips08 Chirping

May 6, 2019
    Northern NJ
    Thanks! I'm not doing anything drastic yet... It's the wattles, feather coloring, and lack of tail that are more "concerning" to me than the color of the comb. If it's a boy, it has to leave unfortunately. Time will tell! I'll update again in a week or two and see if it's any more obvious then.

Ridgerunner likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: