6 week old turkey with bubbles under wing? Has anyone ever seen this?

lizzard14

Chirping
9 Years
Apr 1, 2011
I'm new to the board. I love this place. Anyway, yesterday I was outside with my babies messing with them and I lifted the wing of one and he had like 2 bubble looking things under his wing, right where his wing connects with his body. They really looked like air bubbles of some sort. They were soft and not hard. He doesn't act sick or anything. I was just curious is anyone else has ever seen anything like it. I called the vet and he is suppose to call me back. Oh..and he is 6 weeks old bronze turkey I bought from Atwoods. Anyway, any information would be greatly appreciated. I have googled and googled and can't find anything about this.
sad.png

Quote:
If he bruised himself it would cause air bubbles. I had a roo that would get a big air bubble on his breast after tangling with another roo over hens. I freaked out at first but left them alone and they went away after about a week.

Thank you for the replies. I hope they go away. Maybe he fell off his little roost and got injured. He just doesn't act injured or sick. It's very puzzling. The bubbles look soooooo gross. I can't tell if they are fluid filled or air filled. They are soft, and they are right where to top of the wing meets the body. I have searched and searched the internet and can't find anything. Maybe he will be okay. Gosh..I really love that bird
smile.png

I have seen this in chickens and turkeys when I am putting the wing bands on. It looks like a air bubble. It never hurt any of mine. I don't know why they have it.

Is his wing drooping? I have a white turken that had one of his wings bruised and a swollen hard bump where his wing bend is and I had to wrap it and about two days the bruising went away and the bump got softer and it took him every bit of 4 days for his wing to be 100% better.

I thought maybe my white turken cockerel had broke his wing but whatever the injury was I am glad he recovered so quickly.

Hopefully nothing serious is wrong with your turkey

I have one with a sudden huge air bubble too... scary-looking. What happened with your poult?
Have had a couple do that... Think it's called Subcutaneous Emphysema. Mine looked like this:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/828000/subcutaneous-emphysema-pictures-added

The red spot is from where I poked it with a needle

AIR SAC RUPTURE

Birds have a series of air sacs located internally. These are in the neck area (cervical air sacs), the chest (thoracic air sacs) and in the belly (abdominal air sacs). These areas are part of a bird's breathing system and help the bird receive oxygen from the air in a highly efficient manner. They also help provide the lightness and buoyancy needed for flight. Occasionally, one of these air sacs may rupture (usually due to injury) and air will leak from the sac and accumulate under the bird's skin. This condition is known as subcutaneous emphysema. This accumulation must be removed, or the air sac may tear even further.

WHAT TO DO
Clean the skin over the swelling with a disinfectant on a cotton ball. Take a small scissors or a needle and make a tiny hole in the skin. This allows the air to escape. This may need to be done several times before the air is released. It has been shown that air sacs normally repair themselves within two weeks. However, if you see no improvement within a day or two, your avian veterinarian should see the bird. it is probably a good idea to have the bird seen anyway.

http://www.centerforavianrehab.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=14&Itemid=19

-Kathy

My seven week old turkeys have the bubbles also . Popped them once and every time the chirp it blows up again

Back
Top Bottom