6 week old turkeys...do they need a lamp??

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by spish, Sep 8, 2010.

1. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    well so far so good with the 2nd lot of turkeys, no deaths yet (touch wood!)
    so now i have a question, they are 6 weeks old and fully feathered...do they still need a heat lamp on? they dont seem to sit under it anymore, nor sleep under it, but huddle together in another corner of the pen...is it time to take it away completely?

2. thaiturkey

thaiturkey Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2010
    Thailand
    By now I should say that they need a lamp only for their bedtime read. [​IMG]

3. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    [​IMG]
    thanking you

4. ourflockof4

ourflockof4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Northern Ohio
    We only have 4, but I had the heat lamp off of them by 3 weeks or so. They were in the brooder in the barn though so it didn't drop below about 70 or so. They are 5 weeks now and have no problem with the barn droppin to 60 at night now. This is only our first batch though so other may have better advice.

5. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Where do you live and how is the weather there? At that age, mine didn't need a heat lamp but then again I live in HOT South Louisiana.

6. Lagerdogger

Lagerdogger Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2010
    Aitkin, MN
    I'm in Minesota, and mine usually ignore the light after about 4 weeks. They'd rather go outside in the screen porch than be inside with the lamp. I keep it available until six weeks and then they are sent outside permanantly with no heat. They should be fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by