6 week old Wyandottes - 4 I'm still unsure of their sex, any guesses from you guys?

primalchick

Chirping
7 Years
Mar 1, 2012
Alberta, Canada
My Wyandottes are 6 weeks old now. 6 of them I am fairly sure of their genders. 4 I'm still wavering on. 2 out of the 10 have single combs instead of rose and I think that is confusing me LOL Here are some pics...what do you guys think?

I took pics with what I am pretty sure are a pullet (GLW) and a cockerel (SLW) for comparison.

Unknown #1 on left, with the single comb

Unknown #2 in the middle

Unknown #3, single comb in the back

Unknown #4

Thanks so much for looking!!

Wyandottes are notoriously difficult to determine gender for early on. To be honest, in your group there were only two birds that looked difinitively female. 6 weeks is VERY early for that much red in the combs. I would watch them closely for their stances, as roos will like to stand up stall to look around, and females will stay low to the ground.

Also, watch their feathers. Males will feather out VERY slowly as a general rule. I see at least one boy there that hasn't even started on his tail yet, and a couple others that havn't even started on their body feathers.

Agreed! The only ones that have the look of girls to me are the 2 in the last photo( one on left, one in the middle)-the ones with the red combs-way too red/big for that age = roos.

Wyandottes are notoriously difficult to determine gender for early on. To be honest, in your group there were only two birds that looked difinitively female. 6 weeks is VERY early for that much red in the combs. I would watch them closely for their stances, as roos will like to stand up stall to look around, and females will stay low to the ground.

Also, watch their feathers. Males will feather out VERY slowly as a general rule. I see at least one boy there that hasn't even started on his tail yet, and a couple others that havn't even started on their body feathers.

Thanks for your responses :) I was thinking all 4 of the unknowns might be roos but then sometimes I think maybe not LOL Just to clarify, the GLW and the one SLW with the bright pink puffy comb are in every picture. The only different bird in each set is the "unkown" one. I was using them as comparisons to the other 4 as I'm pretty sure the GLW is a pullet and the SLW is a cockerel. Sorry I should have posted that more clearly in the original post.

Last edited:
Yes I'm seeing only 1 or 2 pullets in there. The "unknown" chicks are probably just Silver Laced Wyandottes. Chicks from hatcheries often don't meet the standards, and they can have wacky combs and feather patterns.

Unknown #1 Roo
Unknown #2 Pullet
Unknown #3 Roo
Unknown #4 Pullet

That's what they look like to me.
smile.png

Thanks so much everybody for taking a look! It'll be interesting to see who crows and who clucks :)

Yes I'm seeing only 1 or 2 pullets in there. The "unknown" chicks are probably just Silver Laced Wyandottes. Chicks from hatcheries often don't meet the standards, and they can have wacky combs and feather patterns.

Oh yeah they are for sure SLW's :) I actually got them from a breeder, not a hatchery, so that's why they are straight run and not sexed. I know they probably aren't show quality or anything, but that's ok I just want them as egg layers and we are going to cull the roos.

Back
Top Bottom