6 week olds and a sick mama

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sunnysmith, Oct 14, 2015.

1. sunnysmith

sunnysmith New Egg

Oct 14, 2015
    Hi all! We have a buff who hatched two chicks six weeks ago. I found mama this morning with audible breathing, sneezing, and signs of respiratory distress. I've separated her and started her on Tylan 50 and Vet Rx. Her babies are used to sleeping under her, but I don't want them get ill as well. Do I keep her separate from her chicks. We also have 5 other grown hens, and all were living somewhat harmoniously. So babies are integrated with the others.

I live on the eastern shore of MD, so it's in the 70's during the day and maybe 50's at night.

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    By 6 weeks they should be perfectly fine without mum - thats usually the age when my hens take the chicks to the main roost. Yeah, they'll complain bitterly about being separated from their mum, but thats the way it goes and in a day or so they will be fine.

It could well be that the chicks may already have whatever the mother has, so be prepared for symptoms in the future.

Good luck
    CT

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

They've already been exposed to whatever momma has, so if they're going to get sick, they're going to get sick. Quarantining now is futile. I'd think it would stress momma more to have weaning forced on her and possibly slow her recovery.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by