6 week olds in coop with big girls looky no touchy

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by imneva, May 15, 2019.

1. imneva

imneva Songster

Apr 9, 2018
    north central Wv
    they have been there for 2 weeks. When do you suppose I can release them into general population? 4 - 6 weekers and 10 -10 Monthers. They will have a few spots only they can get into I was thinking another week or 2. The big girls pretty much ignore them. Any thoughts. ? I want to prevent deaths if possible. Never integrated before

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Puppy Dreaming

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I do supervised mingling for a few days leaving them out longer and longer before I just leave mine out.

How big your set up and whether chicks have places to escape can dictate how it goes.

imneva likes this.
  3. imneva

imneva Songster

Apr 9, 2018
    north central Wv
    My coop is 8x12 and run is 19x39

4. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Puppy Dreaming

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Make sure chicks have things to slip under or through, and places to hide and hang out. Since all your others aren't quite mature yet you will want to go slowly and watch them.

imneva likes this.
  5. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Crowing

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    My Coop
    For integrating chicks with older birds, it helps a lot to have obstacles in the run. If there's not already "stuff" in the run you can put in old patio furniture, wood scraps, whatever you have around that's chicken safe. Make sure that anything that is up against a wall (like my feed station) has at least 2 exits so chicks can't get cornered:

obstacles.jpg

aart and imneva like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: