6 week olds won't go in coop at night...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by hxcmark, Dec 31, 2009.

1. hxcmark

hxcmark Out Of The Brooder

Nov 2, 2009
    A few days ago I stopped leaving the heat light on all night as they were not sleeping under it any more. Now they all just huddle up next to the coop door all night, even in a light rain/heavy mist. I have to put them inside the coop every night due to local predators. Should I try leaving a light on for an hour or so after dark?

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Quote:Too young to be left without a heat lamp at night. They don't fully feather out til 8 to 10 weeks old and then I still keep a 75 to 100 watt bulb on mine if they are out in the garage. They are huddling to keep warm. Cold will kill a chick quicker than thought! My opinions!!!!

3. bigdawg

bigdawg AA Poultry

Jun 28, 2009
    middle tenn
    leave them a light on, some straw or hay to lay in and give them some treats such as bread to get them used to going in the coop at night. i have a bunch 6 weeks old and they are still in the big brooder box and they sleep under the heat lamp at night. at least two months old with moderate temps at night to be off the light. not mid winter.

4. hxcmark

hxcmark Out Of The Brooder

Nov 2, 2009
    Thank you. I will turn the light back on at night. It just seemed to me that when the light was on they would all be on the perch the was farthest away from the light. BTW, I live in sunny California. It hasn't been too cold around here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by