6 week Silkies staying with older hens

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by rainlips, Nov 6, 2013.

1. rainlips

rainlips Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2013
    Northern michigan
    I'm just wondering if I should build another coop for my younger birds this winter. There is enough room in our current coop and run but some of my hens can be kinda mean. I have them in a smaller crate inside the coop now just so they get used to the newbies but it kinda freaks me out to mix them. How many of you mix your bigger birds with younger/smaller ones? I know they have to work out an pecking order but I don't want anyone to get hurt... Thank you!

2. yogifink

yogifink Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2013
    Pinebluff, nc
    My Coop
    I would not introduce the younger ones until they are the same size as your older hens. We use a grow out pen (smaller coop) for this purpose.

3. nettifer

nettifer Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2013
    well i have 2 mums with babies 1 set who are 15wks and have been free ranging with the others since 8wks, and the others are 6wks they have been out with the others for a week [​IMG] the young ones are more bold than the others, they sleep in the big coops with the adults at night, they do get the odd peck but stick togeather! most of the time the mum is not with them, so the will be ok!

4. rainlips

rainlips Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2013
    Northern michigan
    Thank you! One of my silkies is a little shy on the feathers so I haven't let her outside yet, I'm worried she will be to cold.

5. nettifer

nettifer Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2013
    all the running around keeps them warm x

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by