6 weekers outside, and now I want to wean them off the heat lamp...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Jeffross1968, Nov 4, 2011.

1. Jeffross1968

Jeffross1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    I have moved my 3 young ones outside. They're almost 6 weeks old and they've been outside for nearly a week. It's my small coop/run, the type that goes under the stairs (coop) and a run that extends out about 10 feet, that I have set aside for young ones before integration. My idea was to turn off the heat lamp in the coop during the day, but back on at night because our nights are consistently in the 30's now, with a few nights in the 20's and some in the 40's.

Two of them seem to have completely feathered out, and the 3rd is nearly there.

I'm now ready to try and wean them off the heat lamp at night. I'm thinking about turning the light on about an hour later every night until they are going through the night without it. While it's cold out, there is very little room for draft, and there is a good 6 or 7 inches of already composting pine shavings in there. The two that have feathered out are being given as a birthday present, probably in a week. The other, right around that time, will be integrated into the existing flock of adults.

Any thoughts?

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Weaning them now is a good thing, and it trusts nature to cause them feather up thickly before winter really sets in.

I just reduce the wattage to a small amount and provide it only at night for their transition week. After that and they being 8 weeks old? They are good to go if they are any of the breeds in your sig, they'll be just fine. I don't see anything dainty in that list.

3. fiddlebanshee

fiddlebanshee Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Frederick, MD
    That's exactly what I am doing. I have put the heatlamp on a timer that I will advance one hour later every day from today on. By the end of next week they should be off the heat completely. My chicks are 7 weeks old this Sunday, they've been in an outside coop under a heatlamp since day 2, when I got them. They've been roaming the run since week 4.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by