6 weeks and not roosting at night...normal?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by frizzleman74, Oct 20, 2011.

1. frizzleman74

frizzleman74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2010
    Fairfield County
    my 8, 6 weekers are in the coop outside with 3 silkies who dont roost. They can fly up to the roost because ive seen it but they dont roost at night, is it because the silkies arent showing them how to do it? should i manually put them up each night? will they grow out of this? sorry for all the questions! thanks!!

2. christineavatar

christineavatar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Bolinas, CA
    I think that they will roost when they get old enough to do so. I have Americuanas. They were hatched in March and they have just started roosting. There were nine hens who were more then a year old and were roosting the whole while. It seems to me that the birds got up there when they're ready.

3. M.sue

M.sue Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2011
    Michigan
    I go out at night and put them on the roosts. Might have to do several nights in row. I had little roosts in my brooder box so when mine were in the coop they took right to them.

4. frizzleman74

frizzleman74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2010
    Fairfield County
    i had the same thing i had roosts in the brooder as well, oh well, i guess ill just have to wait. and ill try putting them up every night!

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Provide appropriate roosts and then let em be. They'll figure it out when they're ready.

6. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    I forget at what age they start roosting instead of sleeping in a big pig pile on the floor. It's a chick thing, they'll outgrow it. The important thing is to be sure they're not all piled up in a corner or near the edge of any wire fencing. Predators like raccoons can reach through any wire except strong hardware cloth, and other predators that can dig may reach up under a fence to grab chicks.

7. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    I didn't know Silkies don't roost, does anyone know why? I wonder why my baby Duccle was but not the the Silkie.

8. Christie Loves Silkies

Christie Loves Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Silkies rather sleep huddled up as it creates warmth.

9. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    Silkies, don't roost because they can't fly - that's my opinion

10. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:Oh my mine is going to be cold, the mommy that hatched it and three others, killed it's siblings before I found them and saved it, I had to run to the hatchery, but they only had a Mille Fleur Duccle, so that's what I got for a brooder mate. I know I will have to get some more Silkie egg to hatch, I love when an evil plan comes around.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by