1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

6 Weeks Old, are they "normal"? Pics Update Pg3!!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by DawnSuiter, Jul 14, 2008.

1. DawnSuiter

DawnSuiter Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi, here's my ladies & gents, and I'm wondering.. are they normal size? They really seem HUGE and they surely are heavy! They've always seem to be big, and they've eaten TWICE the food that was predicted.. 40lbs starter plus kitchen/garden extras, unless that is normal.

Here's the pic
    [​IMG]

Thanks for your input...

and yes.. very proud mama here [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2008
  2. firem3

firem3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2007
    Odenville Alabama
    what breed are they, if they are a heavy breed then they are right on track.

3. DawnSuiter

DawnSuiter Chillin' With My Peeps

These are my buff orpingtons, a heavy breed. Great!

I really only ask cuz they farmer/guy/neighbor I got them from seemed, lets say a little bit.. unsure somehow of some things.. and I wondered if somehow he got their ages mixed up... he did have thousands of chicks.. how could he know exactly how old everyone was..

silly me.. worried mama [​IMG]

4. firem3

Sep 15, 2007
    Odenville Alabama
    most "farmers" dont feed a starter with the high proteins like most chicken folk do. most of them do free reange the natural way and that in my opinion makes a huge difference in their size and mortality.

5. KKluckers

KKluckers Time Out

Sep 4, 2007
    They look really good. They all look to be roosters too?

6. firem3

Sep 15, 2007
    Odenville Alabama
    they are somewhat big for their age he may be off by a couple of weeks at the most

7. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

I think he has at least one hen in there. The one in the back...

8. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Quote:Well chickens are like babies , they will eat themselves SICK . I feed mine their grower pellets , and laying pellets in the morning and late afternoon . In between I give the treats or scraps . I have 47 head and 50 lbs of grower pellets and laying pellets last me 2 weeks .

9. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Quote:Well , looks like the guy made a mistake on their ages , they look more like 10 - 12 weeks old , BUT Buff's are a very large breed of chickens .....

10. PuffMommy

PuffMommy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2008
    Fairfield, CT
    i have 2 buff orp's that are 6 weeks and one of them (the one i think is a rooster) looks almost exactly like those in your pic.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by