6 weeks old bloody droppings!?!? D:

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ChickChickChicky!, Jun 23, 2011.

1. ChickChickChicky!

ChickChickChicky! Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2011
    One of my chicks has just pooped a blood. Yesterday I have noticed, so I watched them and after a while there poop were pretty normal. But this morning I saw my Peanut (thats her name) poop blood! What should I do and what is going on!? I'm really worried! I don't want to see one of my chicks to die! ITS JUST SO HEART BREAKING! They don't looks sick! They look so healthy! They fly, eat, drink water, and they even sometimes pick a little play fight with each other!

I told my parents and they said its not blood. My parents have raised chickens before and they said if I'm worried to feed them onions. Now I'm not sure if that is helpful or not because I'm new to all this, but my parents did have experience before. And to tell you the truth they kinda looked uneasy about the blood. So, What should I do and what is going on!?

THANKS GUYS!!

2. newbiechickenfan

newbiechickenfan Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2011
    I just logged on and saw your post. I'm very new to raising chicks but in all my reading on this site I have found that there is a very serious condition called coccidiosis (not sure if I spelled it right). Anyway, I'm sure someone else will see your post and offer you more expert advice. In the meantime, check through this site or google the condition in chickens. I hope your little chick doesn't have it, but if it does, it needs treatment asap. Good luck!

3. urban hen momma

urban hen momma Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2011
    Tacoma, WA
    Have you checked a "chicken poo chart"? try an internet search and one should come up

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  4. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2011
    Antarctica
  5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Some threads about cocci and its treatments:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=461910

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=368508

I've never seen cocci in mine so I only know what I do from reading on here. But I have seen the occasional bloody looking dropping, especially when they were young. They do have a wide variety of poop those first few weeks!

From what I've read, with cocci they will look sick -- fluffed out, lethargic, and the poop will look hamburgery at first. It moves very fast if they get overwhelmed. A round of Corid won't hurt them at all, even if they are on medicated feed -- only your wallet.

Cocci come from the soil so it would be odd for them to get it while in a brooder in your house or garage or the like; there would have to be a source. It's also more common in wet areas than in places like the desert.

6. ChickChickChicky!

ChickChickChicky! Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2011
    Thanks! But are there any symptoms that I should know about? And I think I know where they get it, I some time would let the water run when they go out. They seemed to enjoy it so I do it often. Thanks for telling me!

7. silkie101

silkie101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    Plantcity Florida
    hi im new to this but i think maybe it could have a dises of some kind because at that young age chickens are prone to getting sick and dying [​IMG]

8. csummer8882

csummer8882 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Rockingham County, NH
    From all that I have read, there are sometimes no symptoms till its too late. Get some Corrid and start treating everyone ASAP.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by