6 weeks old help

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Mobowguy, Apr 5, 2018.

1. Mobowguy

Mobowguy In the Brooder

Dec 27, 2017
    Missouri
    Hey everyone I'm new to raising baby chicks. I have 5, 6 week old chicks which are basically fully feathered except my brahma has a little bit of down left. It' been down to 35-40 degrees for the low at night. Are they okay to go out permanently? Thank you everyone any help would be great.

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Chicken tender

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Are they acclimated to lower temperatures? That's more important than feathering. If they are used to warmer temperatures it could be quite a shock.

ChickNanny13 likes this.
  3. LoveDatChickenLife

LoveDatChickenLife Chirping

Jul 9, 2017
    Let them out until dark on any days you can, and bring them in. Eventually, maybe a week or two of letting out, you could let them out permanently.

ChickNanny13 and PirateGirl like this.
  4. Mobowguy

Mobowguy In the Brooder

Dec 27, 2017
    Missouri
    The heat lamp has been off all week living in about a 60 degree basement. Also going outside. First couple times it was when it was 55 or so. Then was out in about 40 for a little bit but not all day just a hour or so. Thanks for the responses

5. blackdog043

blackdog043 Crowing

Feb 19, 2017
    Charlotte, NC
    They have been off heat for a week, been in cooler temps and basically fully feathered. I'd put them out there and put a huddle box in the coop, just to see if they even use it. They might just huddle together, in a corner. Have they been in the dark during the night? If they have, you probably won't hear much complaining from them, when nighttime comes.

6. LoveDatChickenLife

LoveDatChickenLife Chirping

Jul 9, 2017
    Yeah I think maybe in a couple days. At least where I live it’s supposed to be raining. I don’t want baby chicks first days outside to be in the rain.

7. Mobowguy

Mobowguy In the Brooder

Dec 27, 2017
    Missouri
    Yes have been turning off light at night time to acclimate them to darkness as well. I'm thinking maybe not this weekend but next ill try and get them out full time. I built basically a big brooder and run close to the older girls for a temporary till they can be together should work fine by next weekend

8. I was putting mine out during the afternoon in a playpen we made until they made such a fuss about having to stay in the playpen. So I let them go out with the adults and they've been in the big coop ever since. They were probably about 4 weeks old at the time, but nearly feathered out.

blackdog043 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: