6 weeks on eggs, believe they are duds...now what

WhereisTina

In the Brooder
Jun 15, 2021
My last broody hen, Mouse, has been on her eggs for 6 weeks. Back story, Six weeks ago I found her under a tarp sitting on 20 eggs. I took all but 4 away and let her sit on them. We have roosters and had 3 other broody hens at the time. Everyone else hatched their eggs are chicks are doing well. Icelandics, and free ranged. I've been worried about Mouse since she is more than 2 weeks over and am looking for information on what to do next. She comes off the eggs most days to dust bath, eat, etc. I try to make sure to give her treats to make sure she is getting enough food. Today I candled the eggs and don't think any are alive. (based on pictures from the net). Poor Mouse. Should I try to break her? Push her off, take away the eggs? Looking for some help.

You can break a broody if you have a wire dog kennel or something that's wire and slightly off the ground. The air hitting her belly can break her out of that trance, but she'll need to be kept in it for a couple days until she's broken from her broodiness.

If you want her to raise chicks, you can try to give her babies at night. Play a recording of peeping chicks and slide them under her at night. Some hens will accept babies, others are not as nice about it and might attack them.

Back
Top Bottom