1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

6 weeks temp?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by echlfan, Mar 24, 2009.

1. echlfan

echlfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Fresno, California
    They are 6 weeks old. What temp should it be? Off during the day? It is 66 in the garage during the day.

2. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    1st week 95*
    2nd week 90*
    3rd week 85*
    4th week 80*
    5th week 75*
    6th week 70*
    7th week 65*

fully feathered for cool weather tolerance:).

3. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    The standard is 95 degrees temp for new chicks to start with reducing the temp by 5 degrees each week. Some people start at 90 degrees. They should be fine. They should be pretty well feathered by now.

4. echlfan

echlfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Fresno, California
    They are pretty well feathered by now. We are in california so it is normally warm, but the last couple days it has dropped to 47 at night.

5. sherrydeanne

sherrydeanne Chillin' With My Peeps

My 4 week olds are in my house which is 66 and they're happy as clams [​IMG]

6. TexGardenGirl

TexGardenGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2009
    northeast of Dallas
    Over the past weekend I had most of my 4 1/2 week olds in a semi-open coop with nighttime temps around 51-52 and they did fine. (Not the plan - had to move some out early due to pecking issues). They were mostly feathered but still lacking around the neck/head especially.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by