6 wk cockeral with hurt middle toe

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Kacey's Krazee's, Nov 20, 2010.

1. Kacey's Krazee's

Kacey's Krazee's Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2009
    Normangee, Texas
    I have 8 little Delawares, they will turn 6 wks on 11/24. I have them now in the outside coop, and it has a lino floor on it. I have covered it with several inches of shavings, but is still pretty slippery. The youngsters have been playing run/fly and slide since I put them out there. I found my little cockeral all huddled up on the roost, while all the others were doing chick stuff. I checked him out, and found that he had injured his center toe, and the chicks have been picking it and making it worse. I cut a bandaid in 2 and put it on his toe, with the gauze pad on his injury. I put him back into the coop, and the girls were right back on him, trying to pull it off. I then put him inside a cat carrier in the coop, with food and water and left him overnight. I have let him loose again, hoping they wouldn't notice again, plus, let them out of the coop, into the run for the first time. The bandaid has come up missing, and they are still going after his toe. My question is.... does anyone have any ideas that I can use to help cover his toe, and not call all of the attention to it. I do have some bandettes that I had bought for my original flock, and made the mistake of buying red. They attacked the ones with it one their foot. Do you think if I put those red bandettes on Everybodys leg, it will call off the attack on the poor little guy? I would appreciate any ideas.
    I hate to think he has to stay inside the cat carrier while all the others get to explore and play!

Thanks,
    Kacey

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    When my Brahma roo broke his toe nail off after it stopped bleeding I kept bluekote on it till it healed it's purple and the others never messed with his toe.

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Vet Wrap might work well, too. Even duct tape.

4. Kacey's Krazee's

Kacey's Krazee's Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2009
    Normangee, Texas
    I tried blue kote on it, but those sharp eyes...they jumped on it. I even put it on the other toes on the same foot ... no luck. They still went after the bad one. I have now taken him out of the cat carrier, and placed him in a larger wire carrier for small animals and placed him back into the coop. I am not sure, but he may have broken the toe as well. He is walking around, but he moves that foot differently. I think he is feeling less isolated, being he is about in the middle of the coop, without the solid walls. He can walk around and even flap his wings. I didn't put anything back on the wound, and just let it air dry, and watch it from here. I didn't put the bandettes on either, as they seem so large. I guess I will keep him apart from the others until I can supervise, and he heals. [​IMG]

Kacey

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Probably keeping him away from the others is the best right now. yep they can spot a wound a mile away. He could have gotten it caught on something, but he'll probably be fine in a few days. Usually if I use bluekote there isn't a problem, but haven't had any big wounds yet either. thank goodness

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by