6 wk old Brahma, what color?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Cissy48, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Cissy48

Cissy48 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 9, 2011
    Southeastern Mass
    I have yet to down load photos (Help).

My Hatchery chics are black/blue with white lacing. All kinds of patterns. I ordered Light Brahmas. I am new and confused.* I didn't expect to get specimen birds from a hatchery but these are not any color I can find on the internet. I must say most are very stunning and I enjoy them. Where can I get Brahmas true to color without spending my whole pension check?

I love genetics and breeding and think this will keep Grammy out of trouble. My main goal is to get good winter layers that will go broody and dress out nicely. I like the personality of my chickens to be pleasant. Foraging is a must. I use organic methods and have had very good luck with most livestock. Its been awhile though.

*When I raised chickens in the 70's I was fortunate to have a small hatchery down the road. They raised quality birds and I had help when I needed it.
    This mail stuff is new to me..

Thanks for the patience....Peace C

2. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    When you can, post some pictures. They will help so much. I have some light Brahmas that have so much black on them they almost look laced. Do your birds have single combs (straight serrated line) or pea combs (3 bumpy rows)?

3. Cissy48

Aug 9, 2011
    Southeastern Mass
    Single. Kinda smushed though. Gotta love um. I call one Tattiana. She looks like a Russian Peasant in her black shawl. The markings are quite stunning.
    Thank you.....C

4. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    Hmmmm, I would look really closely at those combs. Brahmas should have pea combs. Is the leg feathering really heavy (fully covering the outside of the leg, outer toe, and fairly heavy on the middle toe)? Or is the leg feathering sparser (covers the outside of the leg, fairly heavy on the outside toe, and sparse on the middle toe?

5. Cissy48

Aug 9, 2011
    Southeastern Mass
    The comb is pea I think. I need new glasses and they won't sit still long enough for me to see. It does appear to be three with the center one only slightly larger. They are all a tad different. They are only 6 weeks yesterday. I'll check out the leg feathers more. They look like they have chaps on. The inside is bald but I'm not sure which toes have what.
    thank you

6. Cissy48

Aug 9, 2011
    Southeastern Mass
    The feathering is very heavy on the outside. They still have some fuzz but the feathers are over to the middle toe. They are filling out daily.
    Along with the Brahmas I bought some Blue Andalusians and EE. Those two breeds feathered out way earlier.
    The Brahmas make me think of Bubbles with Chaps walking around. They are some round buggers.
    Thank you

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by