1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

6 wk old Cross Beak Pecked At (pics) Isolate?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by JuicyFatHead, Jun 18, 2011.

1. JuicyFatHead

JuicyFatHead Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2011
    WNC
    We are still working on the string/netting top to the pen/coop addition. All the young birds are outside. My cross beak (very rambunctious/curious) has been escaping and following me around (she is always looking for food), and I put her back in each time. I was outside when I heard something and saw that my cross beak chicken was stuck between the compost wall and the chicken wire of the adult flock's coop. She was trying to get back into her pen/coop area (which is presently divided). I got her out of there no problem. My adult chickens WERE hanging out with me, but they were near the coop at this time. So, I'm not sure if A) and adult chicken pecked her (she was kind of trapped), B) A young chick on the other side pecked at her, or C) she bumped her beak on the fencing/wood/etc.

Either way, she has a little nick above her beak(pics shown). It looks fine, very minor. My question is: do I isolate her until it's completely healed? I've never actually had an injured chicken! I've just always read to isolate one with ANY speck of blood as the other chicks will pick on that spot. Any opinions?? I have her in her own box with food and water inside right now. She ate and now is sleeping. I've also heard reintroducing a chick back into the flock can be risky, and she is deformed already (no picking concerning that yet). Will a couple days cause an issue?

I would love any input!! Thanks BYC!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 18, 2011
  2. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    I think if you isolate her, it will be harder to re-integrate her back into the flock. The peck doesn't look too bad to me. I would just keep an eye on her and make sure they are not going to do any serious harm to her.

3. StephanieD

StephanieD Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    Her peck looks minor, I would not isolate her. She's cute, can she eat on her own?

4. JuicyFatHead

JuicyFatHead Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2011
    WNC
    Thank you for your advice! I did put her back in the coop after about an hour (the blood dried a little darker at that time.. couldn't hurt to look like dirt!)..

I know! She is cute. She is very, very sweet. Super curious. Follows me around checks everything out (even the water hose). She can eat on her own. At first I was giving her wet food, and she liked that, but she kept eating the crumbles, so I let her. I think it is harder for her though because she eats all the time, never see her just hanging out really. I'm thinking about trimming her beak if it gets worse (I think it's crossed MORE)...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by