**6 wk. old Delaware not doing well, need advice...**

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MKingsolver, Jul 16, 2011.

1. MKingsolver

MKingsolver Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2011
    Rainy Western WA
    Hi everyone. My poor Sophia has been on a steady decline for the past 2 weeks. At time she has bounced back for a few minutes, gone to robustly eating, and then went back to standing in the corner sleeping. I have tried almost everything at this point and now I'm wondering if she is suffering and I should just end her misery.

1) What type of bird , age and weight. Delaware, 6wks old, not sure about weight but definitely thinner and lighter than others.
    2) What is the behavior, exactly. Very lethargic, sleeps standing up, almost appears drunk when she walks, loses balance easily.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? 2 weeks
    4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? No
    5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. No, but now she has these little bugs on her that I'd thought I'd gotten completely rid of and now they're back. They're underneath her wings and near her vent.
    6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. Nothing I'm aware of.
    7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Yes but not with gusto like my other kids. She'll eat and then goes back into sleep mode.
    8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Watery, like she's getting enough water but the food isn't processing?9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? I've fed her yogurt mixed in with chick starter, given her gatorade, polyvisol w/o iron...nothing seems to improve the condition. She is also not growing like my other birds this age. I've also dusted her with a livestock dust to get rid of the creepy crawlies on her. I give all my birds ACV in their water, too.
    10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? I would like to treat myself but if I need to take her to a vet I will.
    11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. No, best thing I can describe as to how she looks is cocci, all fluffed up and sleepy but no blood in stool.
    12) Describe the housing/bedding in use. She is currently isolated away from the other kids in a rubbermaid tote on pine shavings with 24/7 access to feed & water.

Please help, I don't know what more I can do for this poor baby. I would appreciate any and all suggestions.

Thanks very much [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 16, 2011
  2. MKingsolver

MKingsolver Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2011
    Rainy Western WA
    Anybody? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by