6 wk old d'uccle roo - puffed up, retracting head, not eating

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mommahen64, Jun 24, 2011.

1. mommahen64

mommahen64 Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2011
    Attleboro
    Hi, I came home today and found my little roo acting strangely. He's puffing up his feathers, his tail is down, he's not hanging with his pals, and he's pulling his neck in like a turtle. He's also not eating any food / treats tonight, although I did see him drink. He has a nice coop with pine chip flooring. Temp here in the boston area is about 70. I feed purena medicated chick starter, and for treats some ground corn, oats, blueberries and some bits of bologa. They go out at night in an enclosed dog-pen and eat grass, bugs, etc. I did not see him get into anything. Eyes and nose are clear.

Does anyone know what might be wrong with the little sweetie? I am willing to go to a vet - whatever it takes.

Here are a couple of pictures I just took, although they aren't great... Thanks for any help!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. mommahen64

May 8, 2011
    Attleboro
    Update - I feel a bubble on his chest - like it may be full of fluid or something? Does that sound right? His sister doesn't have one.....

3. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

The bubble is probably his croup, and it has water in it since he's not eating. If it feels like a bean bag then he could have sour croup, if so add some apple cider vinegar to his water or some olive oil. He looks to be in bad shape. He could have coccidia, which is treated with a med called Corid from TSC. It could be an illness, it is hard to say. A fecal from a vet would help to tell if there is a problem. I would add vitamins to his water, try mixing water with chick starter into a soupy mash. Scrambled egg, moist dog food..... keep him separated and warm, place a heating pad near him that he can lay on, as he looks like he may have dropped weight and when they do have a hard time keeping warm.

4. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Most likely coccidiosis. You can get meds at Tractor Supply, you have to treat asap!

5. chickengrl

chickengrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I think I would also try the Corid from the farm store and assume it is coccidiosis. It's the most common thing it seems to hit young birds and it is fairly easy to treat. The medication also seems to be pretty harmless to the birds so won't hurt if you are wrong. Use the liquid Corid 9.6% mix 9.5cc(or ml is the same) per gallon of water. Make it the only water available. I would just go ahead and treat them all since it may run through the flock. A fecal test when you can get it to your veterinarian can be helpful as already suggested. Use a syringe or dropper to drip it along the really sick birds beak if he is not willing to drink on his own. Just be careful not to put too much and cause him to aspirate it into the lung. Good luck!

6. mommahen64

May 8, 2011
    Attleboro
    Well, two vet trips later I have no answer. No parasites, no impacted crop. Just not eating / drinking. [​IMG] I'm tube feeding him now and keeping an eye on him. Crop is still feeling like a squishy water balloon but the doctor said it's fine. Keeping fingers crossed that he bounces back. Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions.

7. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

I would still treat for coccidia. He has the typical "posture". Also maybe give him some antibiotic like penicillin. i have a hen that got very pale over a friends. She had always been off the ground etc.. and I wormed/deliced them all the time. Couldn't figure what was going on with her. I finally gave her some antibiotic, even though she didn't look sickly, just thin and pale, and bam... she is now back to normal and laying happily again. With chickens it is 1/2 knowing and 1/2 guessing.........

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by