6 wk old RIR seems to have died suddenly today

agarnp

Songster
Jul 20, 2022
We had 19 of RIR hatched by us 6 wks ago. They have been very robust and looked fine until just a few min ago when my husband went to check on them in the tractor out back and one had died (they all seemed fine this morning). The rest seem fine. we live in Florida but it did get 49 degrees last night - I had been covering any open areas to give them better proection and they are pretty well-feathered. Only thing we've noticed is that they are eating voraciously...we have had to fill their 20 inch long feeded about 3 times today and even tho their crops seem full but they are still eating like they are starving. My husband didnt show me the bird before discarding b/c he didnt waNt to upset me but i wish i would have examined it...he said there were no visible injuries. Could they eat themselves to death? Could the cold last night gotten to the one that died? should i restrict some food? - could the grass they are eating have caused an impaction? Just trying to figure out what to do to avoid another unnecessary death. We dont spray anything and have been moving tractor daily to fresh grass. we just give them baby chick crumble. If any of you might have any ideas i wd appreciate it.

The magic word - grass. At six weeks, gorging on feed and grass without adequate grit is a highway to trouble.

Unfortunately, a young chick can die quickly after a crop or gizzard impaction. There often isn't time to notice a chick acting sick.

To prevent this sort of thing, keep pasture areas mowed to eliminated stems. And check to be sure your soil contains adequate grit. Or buy some at the feed store.

Where are you? It would help to know this because if it's spring there, coccidia may be going through a population explosion, and chicks are very susceptible to getting sick and dying.

Thank yiu--yes, upon fufther questioning my husband said the dead chick was still warm with a full crop. we are in central Florida. I have offered grit but the oyster shell grit looks like it has some chunky sizes and I was smashing it before offering. yes..The grass was a little long but not terribly. I looked at their poop and it doesnt have characteristics of coccidia. Right now they are scratching at ground b/c my husband took out the feeder a couple of hours ago and their crops still look full. should i put feeder back in and a plate of the grit?

Oyster shell is not grit. Grit must be non-water soluble or it dissolves in the crop and won't do any good. Oyster shell is calcium carbonate and it's water soluble, dissolving in the crop, not meant to be used as grit.

To be sure the others aren't becoming impacted, give them all some coconut oil to eat. This can help break up impactions. You need to ask the feed store for chick grit. It's hard granite and won't dissolve in the crops.

Thank you -I learned something new--I thought they needed the oyster shell b/c they seemed to love the stuff... unless of course their just gluttons and will attack anything i throw in there. Well i have learned something new and thank you so much...they are sleeping now but tomorrow morning i will give them the coconut oil and go get some chick grit at TSC. One more question.. should i mix in the coconut oil in their feed tomorrow?Hope no others die...wish me luck & thanks again!

The way many of us administer coconut oil is to break it into pea size pieces and chill it until it's hard. It's easy to push the pieces into the little beaks and you then know for sure each has had a good dose, around a teaspoon. Or you can mix it into their food as long as you don't have any chicks acting sick.

The way many of us administer coconut oil is to break it into pea size pieces and chill it until it's hard. It's easy to push the pieces into the little beaks and you then know for sure each has had a good dose, around a teaspoon. Or you can mix it into their food as long as you don't have any chicks acting sick.
thanks---no chicks acting sick - their crops went down upon inspection this morning- lots of normal looking poop. I did incorporate a tablesspoon unto their feed..massaging it in...they attacked it-- all of them. We went to get grit...do I sprinkle around the grass or provide a little dish for it? sorry for so many questions--youve been so helpful!

That's a relief no other chicks are sick. Yes, sprinkle the grit around on the ground. You may also leave some in a container for them, as well. Chicks instinctively hunt for grit on the ground, but having some backup won't hurt.

That's a relief no other chicks are sick. Yes, sprinkle the grit around on the ground. You may also leave some in a container for them, as well. Chicks instinctively hunt for grit on the ground, but having some backup won't hurt.
thanks! I did as you adviced- they went crazy over it--they are nuts - I know there's at least 5 cokerells in this flock but they are so crazy I call them all beastie chicks- lol

Back
Top Bottom