1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

6 wks old and ready for coop???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by hjkr1130, Nov 4, 2008.

1. hjkr1130

hjkr1130 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2008
    I have 6 wk old baby chicks, well they act more like teenagers.. Are they to young to place into the coop?? They have all their feathers and it hasn't been to cold here, yet... today is 69 overcast .

2. AllChookUp

AllChookUp Will Shut Up for Chocolate

May 7, 2008
    Frozen Lake, MN
    I would wait. Most advice I have read here suggest waiting to integrate teenage chickens into a full-grown coop until they are about as big as the adults.

3. whatsup chickenbutt

whatsup chickenbutt Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    I am not suggesting one way or another, but just telling you my experience.
    I just integrated my 6 week fully feathered chicks into the big girl coop as follows:
    first, I have 2 coops, one has three very docile battery hens. the other has the bulk of my chickens who bothered my battery hens, which is why i separated, the babies are being integrated into the battery hens coop, not the other one, and probably would not have followed the same plan if I had had to put them in with the more aggressive birds.
    First, I put three babies in a large bird cage and set it out in the chicken yard for half the day. Then, I opened the door and let them come out when they were ready. Its a small door, so they could also get back in if they were scared. kept them out for the rest of the afternoon, then locked them back in their bird cage and put them in the unheated coop for the night. 2nd day, let them out with the big girls all day, and left their cage out in the yard so they could come and go, also made several diversions around the yard for a quick escape if necessary, and it has been necessary on a few occasions, and they did fine. Added 2 more babies, followed the same process for a couple of days, then last night they all spend the night in the coop, with a separated, yet accessible corner, and this morning they are just fine. Actually this is the second night for that arrangement. I have three more that are not fully feathered yet, that are still in the brooder. The reason I opted to put them out so early is because I thought the cold fall air would be better to acclimate them to the winter than in a few more weeks when it is really cold. Seems to be working for me, and chicks are happy and healthy!
    Probably down to 40 at night here.

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    You don't mention having older chickens, so yes if your six week old babies are the only ones you have you can move them to the coop.
    Make sure it's draft-free and think about ways to safely add a temporary heat lamp if your temps. suddenly take a nose dive.

5. hjkr1130

Sep 3, 2008
    I only have the 6 wk olds. So it should be fine ?? We have two windows and I placed hay on the floor for extra warmth ( just in case). Should I keep them closed in there a couple of days? so they know that is their home... I have a heat lamp also. I'm really nervous, but they are so big and my husband is getting upset with them living in the garage (caged of course).

6. hjkr1130

Sep 3, 2008
    [​IMG]

7. hjkr1130

Sep 3, 2008
    [​IMG]

That's my mumble

8. whatsup chickenbutt

Sep 9, 2008
    yes, keep them closed in for a couple of days, just to ensure they know where home is, and just use the heatlamp if youre nervous. They will be fine, :aww especially with no older girls.

9. whatsup chickenbutt

Sep 9, 2008
    THOSE ARE YOUR 6 WEEK OLD BIRDS!!??
    They look huge and so grown up compared to mine.

10. jnjross

jnjross Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    edwards, ms
    mine were out at 6wks, the stink was [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by