6 year old hen in good form

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by silverback, Feb 19, 2017.

1. silverback

silverback Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2010
    Just wanted to shout out my 6 year old hen, Floppy, a Black Star (sex link) who started laying again after her winter molt. Two days in a row so far. Last year she laid beautifully for months with one 18 day streak. She is a star! Anyone else have older hens still laying regularly?

2. jennyf

jennyf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2016
    Missouri
    That's awesome! Hope mine stay laying that long...

3. feedman77

feedman77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    My 5 year old black sex link just started laying 2 days ago. She is the first to lay in the spring and usually the last to quit.

4. azygous

azygous True BYC Addict

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Like you, I thought it was pretty terrific when my six-year old Brahma hen laid several eggs coming out of winter break.

Then I had two Wyandottes who were seven years old last year lay regularly through spring into summer. This year they are both back on the nest again squirting out eggs at nearly eight years old.

5. lutherpug

lutherpug Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2014
    Kansas City, MO
    First of all, Floppy is a pretty great name for a chicken!! [​IMG] I thought I was being clever with my girl, Waffles, but I love Floppy too.

Second, that is awesome! My oldest hens are 10 months but I dread the thought of non-productivity. Your story gives me some hope :)

6. silverback

Oct 18, 2010
    Awesome! They truly are individuals who can beat the odds.

7. emgrider

emgrider Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2015
    That is incredible especially since she's a hybrid breed. You go Floppy! [​IMG]

8. silverback

Oct 18, 2010
    Update: my other 6 year old hen started laying and has laid 3 days straight! So now I have two 6 year olds laying regularly. I have four 2 year old hens and only one of them is laying again this spring. Age and experience are a good thing!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by