6 year old hen very lethargic, comb turning black at tips

ImToadie

Chirping
7 Years
Jan 5, 2013
Santa Monica, CA
Hi All - my 6 year old Orpington seems sick. Wondering if its just her time to go or if she has something I can fix. For the passed few days, she has been very lethargic. She doesn't want to leave coop or she just sits in same spot in the yard most of the day. She seems like she is a tentative/wobbly on her feet and unwilling to go up steepish walkway to coop or roost somewhere she has to jump to. Her weight seems okay, she hasn't laid an egg in over a year so her weight is quite a bit less than it was in her youth. She is still eating and drinking, but not vigorously at all. This morning I noticed that the tips of her comb seem to be black. I will try to send picture since it doesn't seem to match any descriptions I have read. Doesn't seem to be purplish (lack of oxygen), not spots like flu, not frostbite (I'm in Southern California) just looks sort of like black fungus :( I only have 2 other birds and they both seem to be fine. And, they are treating her fine, not pecking at her or anything. Been giving her some yogurt, carrots mashed with ACV, and wetting her pellets to entice her to keep eating. Will try to snap picture and inspect poop later today. Thanks for any help!

Here's a photo of comb.

Attachments

• IMG_5669.jpg
    IMG_5669.jpg
    436.4 KB · Views: 6
I can't say for sure becuase its not one I've dealt with but the comb looks like frost bite. One of mine when sick her comb got progressively purple. Worming could help is usually a peventative I'll do for the whole glock when one dies of unknown cuases. Other wise electrolyte and vitimans in her water and make sure she is eating and drinking. If she's not wanting to eat try thinks like scrambled eggs or cooked oats, or even just wetting her feed. Unfortunatly I haven't saved a hen from lethargic, but i always at least give them the chance

Oh and seperate her from the others if you haven't already incase is anything that can be speard and so the others don't harass her

Back
Top Bottom