6 yo SS hen, pet Lacey, had 8" stick stuck in crop

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickchoon1, Mar 7, 2015.

1. chickchoon1

chickchoon1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2014
    Ohio
    and I was stunned but figured since it was crop I pulled it out( which took appx 5 seconds because it was deep/big!) and she didn't seem disturbed in the least. I had gone out to clean deep litter( and as i now know frozen!) shed and couldn't get through it so will do another day. Decided to finish snowman i started and pose her on top(can't get pics on here anymore-am using my old $10 phone) and when i picked her up noticed(at first thought it was bone! ewwww) she had something sticking out of her chest area and posed her on top of snowman and pulled that sucker out. She didn't bat an eyelash(pretty girl, too). I wanted to investigate the slimy stick more after i returned her to shed area and the dog was eating it. Love the beasts, fortunate for them! SOOOOOO-point being-is the fact it was stuck in crop going to make it the best case scenario for a stuck stick? I have so much going on(mom incapacitated and am visiting her in a bit then do groceries and stay over at her apt. tonight) Any actual knowledge on what would be best for stick wound? Shes eating etc fine and i hav no clue how long it was stuck in there. Shes my fave of the 29 but have no money for vet. thoughts?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It would be best to get a vet to stitch up the hole in her crop. If that is not possible, at least I would clean the area with peroxide or betadine, and apply plain antibiotic ointment. Some use superglue or stiches to close a crop after crop surgery, but I can't give advice on those. If the wound looks infected, I would flush the peroxide into the wound. Don't use peroxide after the first day or so, since it may prevent healing (but it is excellent to use for debriding an infected wound.)

3. chickchoon1

Sep 5, 2014
    Ohio
    Very small hole and i will just wash/ointment the wound. thanks.

4. chickchoon1

Sep 5, 2014
    Ohio
    Well-as usual-got her in house and inspected as well as u can with all the feathers in the way and found a skin tear over crop. large. CAN'T go to vet so just poured peroxide over wounds(kept loosing location because of all the feathers), dried as best as could and applied best as could antibi ointment. Unfortunately all i have is the petrolatum based crap and it went on in clumps. will see if mas house has actual creamy anibiotic stuff. Lacey is in her own area with water and i wonder if not feeding her and getting her crop emptied(on her own by morning?) would help with cleaning.If she gets inappitant or depressed i may just take her out. Life can suck.[​IMG]

5. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  6. larry miller

larry miller New Egg

Nov 1, 2008
    Super glue it used invented by military for instant stitching of open wounds. Have used it on myself and it works good most emergency rooms use It.
    Larry Miller

7. chickchoon1

Sep 5, 2014
    Ohio
    Not a possibility(am retired from vet college,cleaned kennels, and remaining friend co-worker lives 70 miles away so....)any thoughts/help with the superglue thought? And i know we used sugar MANY times on soft-tissue injuries at vet hospital so...? am forming my own thoughts and don't trust me enuf so any help with the above suggestions of glue/sugar? Seriously- these were top vets and i remembver many good outcomes on huge st issues using sugar(altho some were indeed sutured-i can't do that!) i have yet to look at Lacey' booboo this morning but shes pacing/vocalizing and when i get her in to look i will probably be back on here pestering.my thought now(if it looks like yesterday) is to scrub as well as i can, sugar it up and superglue. ?..wish i could post pics-know that could help people with suggestions.

8. chickchoon1

Sep 5, 2014
    Ohio
    Just got her in house, her crop is empty, wounds look terrible but shes bright and alert/hungry so quality of life applied in my progression.Slopped honey on the wounds then fed her crumbles, a grape/honey and will say a prayer and observe her. If she starts to seem lethargic/inappitant,my son is on alert.[​IMG]

9. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  10. chickchoon1

Sep 5, 2014
    Ohio

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by