6 yr old Rooster not regrowing feathers after molting

Shutterbug83

Hatching
Jun 30, 2018
I have a almost 6 yr old rooster, named Sammy, who is amazing. He watches over his girls and he is super sweet. The flock went through a molt in March and Sammy is still missing feathers under his wings and on his legs. He also has not regrown his tail plum completely. He’s eating and acting normal. We have checked for mites or any other visible bugs in him and found non (luckily he doesn’t mind being handled).

Some back info on Sammy (not sure if it’s relevant, but I’ll include just in case). He has 16 regular hens, 1 old English Bantam hen and 2 old English Bantam roosters (they do not challenge him...they are the size of his wing). He has had a broken wing due to a dog attack about two years ago (my dog saved him and it created a strong bond between the two. She’s a working cattle dog and if the hens are far out and he starts to call them in, she’ll go get them for him. Once he sees her go out he settles down and waits for her. He’ll even look for her lol. The entire flock has a heated coop for the winter, plenty of bugs to eat and then their regular food. The coop is a shared building with our meat rabbits, but has a divider. We do have 5 new chicks, that are quarantined in the rabbits area. We do not have a livestock vet near us and I’m wondering if anyone has had a rooster go through this.
Thank you.

What are you feeding? Are you sure he isn't getting feather picked? That can happen with some roosters. They sometimes get picked by the hens, and just take it.

They get normal table scraps as well as corn, grit, oyster shells and scratch. One he does pull his tail feathers, but other than that we’ve never see a hen go after him.

They may need more protein. You don't feed a ration? Chickens need up to 20% protein during the molt to help grow in feathers.

Here’s a picture of our rooster Sammy.

Attachments

• B0B86C9C-470F-487A-90BA-D196C8F34E23.jpeg
    B0B86C9C-470F-487A-90BA-D196C8F34E23.jpeg
    667.2 KB · Views: 7
Here’s a picture of our rooster Sammy.

It's late, so I haven't gone back through previous comments just now...Have you been giving a high protein diet to try to help? Maybe try isolating him for a bit? It almost looks like they've been trying to grow back, but maybe others are picking at him more because the skin is already exposed?

It's late, so I haven't gone back through previous comments just now...Have you been giving a high protein diet to try to help? Maybe try isolating him for a bit? It almost looks like they've been trying to grow back, but maybe others are picking at him more because the skin is already exposed?
We have added additional protein to the flocked diet. It’s only been a short time, so we’re hoping that helps. We haven’t separated him, but if someone’s pulling his feathers we know who it would be. We have two Americana hens with velociraptor personalities. Might try catching them and putting the girls back with the rabbits and see if that helps.

Back
Top Bottom