$60 for Little Giant still air incubator #9700 w/ egg turner good deal

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by The Chicken People, Nov 14, 2009.

1. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    I need to know if this is a good buy! I will be a first timer!

2. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    that was my first incubator and it is very hard to deal with. I replaced it with a genisis 1588 after 4 not so good hatches. Some people swear by this bator but my opinion the ones with set temps are much better, and will not result in as much fustration.

3. rarebreedeggs4u

rarebreedeggs4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2009
    Morrow, AR
    I just don't like mine at all, too many temp fluctuations and baby sitting it ALL of the time to keep adjusting...

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Considering you can buy one brand new for about $40 plus extra for the turner, unless it's brand new, I'd say not that great a deal. Plus, really, in my opinion, no still air bator is a good deal.

5. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    I found it on craigs list and the guy lives near me..he bought it last year and used it once..maybe I shouldve asked why he was selling it? I just want one so bad!

6. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    I paid $54 for my LG still air and $64 for the turner. You could get it and a add a fan. You would still have an incubator that requires some fussing with though. But you could get it and try it out on some "cheap" eggs before investing in expensive eggs.

Good luck whatever you decide to do. Around here incubators on Craigslist, even LGs get grabbed up quick. So if you are going to do it you better do it.

Good luck,

Mary

7. Junkmanme

Junkmanme Chillin' With My Peeps

I think it's a Good Deal. [​IMG]

The turner alone (with shipping) would cost you $60.00

Adding a fan (used computer fan) is SIMPLE and you can probably do it a little or NO COST...just a little bit of easy labor.

See the following "thread" for info on installing a computer fan in a Little Giant incubator:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=266997

You won't buy an incubator any cheaper than this. The turner and the fan are important, I believe.

[​IMG]

Good Luck!
    -Junkmanme- [​IMG]

8. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    If you are going to be a first timer with hatching don't go with any LG product, it will totally sour you on hatching. The satifaction ratio on these LG bators is about 999.99 who hate them, the rest just pretty much got lucky. please look into another brand for your sanity's sake, the money you think you are saving by buying this bator will be nothing compared to the headaches & $$ it will cost you. just sayin is all. The LG is made in China.

AL

9. neferset

neferset Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    I have two LG still air units that I use for overflow for my Hovabator and staggered hatching, no turners. They do ok. The only thing I've noticed is that they are easily bumped up or down in temperature and humidity by changes in the room conditions and every time I put eggs in, the temperature spikes in a couple of hours. So, I try not to put eggs in and leave. There is probably some neat reason in physics for this. I just don't know what it is. I don't seem to have the problem with my Hovabator forced air. It also does a better job keeping temperature and holding humidity.

I am using rocks in the bottom of the LG I have set up at the moment to help keep the temps steady. I read that somewhere and wanted to try. I also have a huge sponge in now.

I have noticed that the motor from the turners makes the Hovabator a little warmer than when I take them out. I'm guessing that will probably be more dramatic in a still air, depending on where you are measuring the temperature, but I can't say for sure.

10. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    I'd offer $50 for the package.

As others have said, add a fan. The LG model is the best option if you can swing the $32 for it.

Once again I see so many people talking smack about the LG's. If you have patience and really want to learn the ins and outs of hatching the LG is a great starter incubator. If you just want something to plug in and forget then move up into a Brinsea Eco 20.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by