$60 investment until the April bulldozing... (PICS!)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by technodoll, Nov 14, 2009.

1. technodoll

technodoll Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    Quebec, Canada
    Next April, we are tearing down this rotten, rusted, rickety, vermin-infested eyesore that is blocking our view from the deck and building a brand-new coop with a poured concrete floor, woohooo!

[​IMG]

We invested in fixing up the outside run a few months ago but the flock rarely uses it now, they prefer to free-range or hang out in the coop. Now that the winter's nearly here the rats are trying to tunnel their way into the insulated part of the coop and the mice are chewing through the walls, no matter what we do.

So my contractor came in today to cut holes for ventilation (there was none before), build a proper sleeping roost with easy poop cleaning access and set up a corner for the new girls who are arriving in two days!

First, the coop as it was before (pardon the shoddy insulation, it's the best I could do with no tools and no skill):

[​IMG]

And the coop now with proper bedding on the right, and nesting/roosting boxes on the left for the new girls (for proper flock integration) - it's only about 11 x 12, the wide-angle lens makes it look huge LOL! oh and it's 5'4" high, I have to stoop all the time to avoid the mouse-sh*t infested pink insulation on the ceiling, soooo gross:

[​IMG]

Better view of the sleeping quarters:

[​IMG]

We built a door to connect the two old buildings so the girls can use both coops now without escaping outside: they eat and sleep in the insulated coop, play and take their daily dust baths in the old coop which also serves as a storage for their food and snack bins. View from the sleeping coop into the play coop:

[​IMG]

Play/storage coop before we cleaned it up and put in new netted windows for light & ventilation (got these for free thanks to my contractor!) - it's about 11 x 14:

[​IMG]

As it is today in its dusty glory thanks to the sandy floor (btw there is no mold on the walls, just dark panels that lost their white paint):

[​IMG]

It will have to do for the next 5 months, we're not sinking any more money into this black hole.

It looks a LOT better in the photos than it actually is.

SO EXCITED TO GET 6 NEW GIRLS IN TWO DAYS!! (ameraucanas and marans!)

2. possumqueen

possumqueen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Monroe, North Carolina
    Yo, technodoll! You go, girl!!!!![​IMG]

It works, the girls won't care how it looks, it's nice and clean, and it'll do for the winter.

Most importantly, however, is that it's just ugly enough to keep you motivated to blow it up in the spring!

And you get an A for keeping the rest of us posted! Keep them cards and letters coming!

3. SurprisingWoman

SurprisingWoman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2009
    South Weber, UT
    A. I would love to have all that room for my girls.

B. I would love to have the option of rebuilding something as seemingly okay as your old POS coop. (even if you are eating beans for the next six months)

C. I would REALLY LOVE to sit and plan and dream and sketch and erase and resketch and redream and redo.....

How lovely.

I bet you are having the most amazing dreams lately!

4. technodoll

technodoll Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    Quebec, Canada
    Funny you should mention dreams... my sleep was plagued with chickens, chickens, coops and chickens last night, kept waking up every 30 minutes with a head full of chickens and building plans! How am I ever going to last until spring? LOL!

ps: am adding 6 girls in two days, for a total of 22 chickens (of which 3 are silkie roos) - is that too much for the space??

as i said, the main coop is only about 11 x 12!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by