60+ showgirl eggs hatching! I need advice!! Dont have hatch date!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by peachesdeese, Sep 14, 2009.

1. peachesdeese

peachesdeese Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Lancaster, SC
    We ended up taking several showgirl hens off the nests at a friends house and I rushed the eggs home to my incubators! TWO baby has already hatched! (This is day two of the eggs being here in my incubators!) Woot!
    (The hens were having to be moved because of a fox that was slaughtering a friends showbirds!... Some of them stressed and wouldn't sit back on the eggs so we just removed all the eggs. Even from the ones still sitting.)

60+ more eggs to watch and worry over since I have no idea when they will hatch!!

Ok.... heres my issue!!
    I have two incubators almost full of showgirl eggs. I candled them all and they seem to be at different stages of growth.

I have the little giant incubators... Temp is stable at 99 degrees. Humidity is fine! I am NOT able of course to lockdown because of not knowing the hatching dates!

Soooo... I am checking....checking...and checking some more like a big kid. Looking through the top a thousand times a day for pips. Listening for chirps....watching for movement. When I see a pip or hear anything I lift the top quickly and move the egg to another bator without a turner.

Is there anything else I need to do? Or do I need to do anything different? I wanna give the eggs the best chance I can!!

Heres the baby that hatched out one day ONE

[​IMG]

2. Oh how precious ! [​IMG]
    Sounds like you are doing just fine , keep us updated on the hatch .

Fay

3. I know nothing about hatching anything, this hatching is my first hatch.

I just wanted to "BUMP" this one up to see how things are going. I looked at the pictures of showgirls and fell in love. I want a few of my own! [​IMG] from hubby.

4. shay20

shay20 Shay's Flock of Fun

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    Your doing a great job, with a hatch with different hatch dates thats the best you can do is what you are doing, good luck with them and keep us updated. [​IMG]

5. peachesdeese

May 31, 2009
    Lancaster, SC
    I hear another egg chirping! I can't figure out which one it is yet though! I am trying not to open the bator till I have to!

6. insiderart

insiderart Obviously Insane

Apr 30, 2009
    Arkansas
    Hmm I would probably candle and separate out the eggs by development from the candling. That would take a lot of the guesswork out of it.

7. peachesdeese

May 31, 2009
    Lancaster, SC
    Quote:Not a bad idea! Thank you!!

8. ClairedeLune

ClairedeLune Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Denver, Colorado
    Precious little ones! Good luck!

9. peachesdeese

May 31, 2009
    Lancaster, SC
    Baby number 3 is out!
    No naked neck.... looks like a buff colored silkie! I'll know more when it dries!

10. peachesdeese

May 31, 2009
    Lancaster, SC
    Oh Oh OHHHH JOY! I hear another eggs chirping!!
    I am just to excited over these eggs!! LOL! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by