60% to high?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by CornerViewFarm, Jul 24, 2008.

1. CornerViewFarm

CornerViewFarm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2008
    Ohio
    Is humidity of 60% to high for incubating? I read some where that you should set it for 60 - 65 is that right?

2. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    yes

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Until the last 3 days that's too high. Try to get it down to 45 or so....if it's not the last 3 days.

4. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    That is too high for incubation. 40-45% is more like it. The egg has to lose about 12-14% of it's water weight by day 21 and with humidity that high, it can't. The chicks will be waterlogged and drown.

5. CatCobb1983

CatCobb1983 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Gates,TN
    do you sell any of your eggs to hatch?
    Thank You,
    Cat [​IMG]

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:Who are you asking?

7. CornerViewFarm

Apr 5, 2008
    Ohio
    I was wondering the same thing,...okay i got my hum. set but my question is now can i put eggs in each day if i get about 12 a day? Or wait and put them in all at the same time?

Thank you
    Austin

8. TheKidAndDame

TheKidAndDame Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2007
    Gator Nation, FL
    It is best to set them all at the same time. Plus, you will need to do that if you only have one incubator.

9. kellim

kellim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2008
    SC, GA Border
    Quote:I put egg in every few days if I need to, staggered hatches, and have different hatch dates but I am very careful while doing it. I have never had a problem with the higher humidity at the end hurting the other eggs, maybe I am just lucky. Now I do get the babies out of the bator as quickly as I can as to keep them from bumping the other eggs around.

10. CornerViewFarm

Apr 5, 2008
    Ohio
    I put egg in every few days if I need to, staggered hatches, and have different hatch dates but I am very careful while doing it. I have never had a problem with the higher humidity at the end hurting the other eggs, maybe I am just lucky. Now I do get the babies out of the bator as quickly as I can as to keep them from bumping the other eggs around.

I have a egg turner so would i just take a rack out and place the eggs that were on that rack on the platform of the bator?​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by