600 billion$ VS Your $; y'all'd best be planning a garden for spring

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by joebryant, Nov 9, 2010.

1. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

The Fed just put 600-billion $$ out to compete against YOUR $, i.e., that $1 loaf of bread could soon cost $1.50 or more. It's not likely that your salary is going to go up, so... NOBODY has any control over what the Fed does, but basically its plan is to cheapen the dollar so the world will want to buy our products; however, ... GO FIGURE, but I'd start planning because it's going to get worse for a long time before it gets better.
    BTW Just a suggestion... get your garden plowed/tilled this fall if you don't already have one. Plant for your chickens too.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2010
  2. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    My husband and I were just talking about this the other day as we grocery shopped. Apparently it is expected that groceries will go up an average of 40% over the next couple of years.

I sooo wish I had an acerage!

3. Q9

Q9 General Headache

They call it "quantitative easing," if I'm not mistaken. I call it Ben Bernanke's Bull****. Good gosh, and right as I'm saving for an AK, as well. [​IMG] Worst. Timing. EVER.

4. Rammy

Rammy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2008
    What do you plant for chickens? Im planning a garden next year. Ive nevef done one myself but my Mom always has. Should I get my garden plowed up now? I was planning on putting it in an area where Ive been putting my manure<chicken and horse>. Im also thinking of getting some meat chickens to process next year.

Rammy

5. Rammy

Rammy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2008
    Quote:How much land do you have? You dont need much. You could also do raised beds.

Rammy

6. HLAC

HLAC Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2009
    Central Utah
    IL voted in Gov. Quinn by half a percentage point. He lost in 99 of the 102 counties. Quinn now says the voters have given him a 'mandate' to raise taxes in the state. (really??!!)
    A 33% tax increase.

Now this from the Fed.

...sigh....

Happily, I have a big garden. I have to learn to can tho'. If cap and tax passes I won't be able to afford to freeze everything.

7. joebryant

Quote:About a million years ago, I got an MA in economics from Purdue University's Krannert Graduate School of Industrial Management. About all I remember is what someone told me the first day of class, "If all the economists in the world were laid end to end, they'd never reach a common conclusion."

This action flies in the face of all of our agreements with Europe and other parts of the world to not devalue our money. Its happening really makes me wonder WHAT the Fed know that's not being told to the American public.

8. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

I totally agree .... However, I can't grow anything but weeds here. I tried for 2 years and just do not have a green thumb. I am from Iowa, where the soil is rich black and fertile. Here in Missouri it is a yukky clay like substance. I WISH I could grow a nice garden........

9. Spookwriter

Spookwriter Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Ohio
    Actually just came in from the garden spot. Big empty space now...

I was wondering about the wisdom of tilling it over for the winter.
    Good ideal, bad ideal?

Planning on enlarging it next year anyway. Really wanting to add a
    few raised beds in the yard. (More decorative that anything else)

The fact that I live near a large Amish community has proven to me
    that I can buy from them much cheaper than I can raise my own.
    Certainly easier than I can raise my own. But like having chickens,
    I enjoy playing in the garden.

Should I turn my garden over now?

10. joebryant

Quote:You might get a response if people know where you are. Nobody can answer your question with certainty otherwise.
    List your CITY/TOWN, STATE under your NAME by going to (click) Profile (on the dark-blue line above) and then to the list on the left hand side titled Profile Menu. Going there and choosing the second item on the list, PERSONAL, you can type in the name of the city or town, state where you live.
    1. PROFILE
    2. PROFILE MENU
    3. PERSONAL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by