600+ eggs!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Hillschicks, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Hillschicks

Hillschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2012
    today we passed 600 eggs... Thats only counting the ones that made it to the carton... No soft shells or broken(by us or them)... Just keepers... After this we also made a discovery... **** leghorn and easter eggers have been stashing eggs ... We found a small nest of over a dozen white/green eggs lol... 2 broke getting them out of the hole they were in, 2 broke during cleaning (very dirty)... All water tested just fine... Long story short, since our first chicks in march we have gotten over 50 dozen eggs... Awesome

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    That's quite a milestone! Congrats!

3. CinnamonQueen

CinnamonQueen Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2012
    Texas
    Congrats!

4. Shelshanam

Shelshanam Out Of The Brooder

I have to ask what part of the country you are in?

I also obtained chicks in March, my gals started laying right at 19 weeks and I had 12 hens. I got maybe 30 dozen before they decided to cancel my egg plans for the winter.

Since moult started these little brats have basically stopped. My one extra chicken I picked up that was suppose to be a rooster and turned out being a hen has been my constant producer (gotta love the guy that sells you a 20 week old rooster for $2, and the next day it lays an egg for you). She had a minimal moult, and just keeps on laying. So I have 25 Production Reds that are my future layers coming up for spring.

Anyways congratulations on that many eggs!

5. nakstk

nakstk Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2011
    Kalama, Washington
    CONGRATS!! You made my think about adding up my eggs. I keep track but was gone for 1 week in August so I don't have the #'s for those days. My chicken sitter didn't think about it. We hit 700 today! Most of those were from my 5 SS. My Wellies started laying in Oct when my SS stopped to molt. Still waiting on my first EE egg. 32wks 3days and counting.

6. Hillschicks

Jul 17, 2012
    We dwell in the thumb area of michigan... This is our first year with the ladies, no molt... Everyone is still laying regularly... Apparently more regular than we knew on account they were sneaking the occassional egg to another location... Good job on the 700 :) ... Everyday when we come in with the days take we add it on the calendar to yesterdays total... Quick easy egg counting

7. nakstk

nakstk Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2011
    Kalama, Washington
    I printed off this chart www.hencam.com/henblog/2012/01/egg-record-chart/ I also add when I buy feed and or scratch to it. I have it on the fridge so I can add the # of eggs when I put it in the fridge. I also weigh and date my eggs too.

8. Hillschicks

Jul 17, 2012
    Nah, we dont go that far... What we have extra we just give to family and friends free of charge... The only thing we kept track of besides egg count was when i filled the feeder i built so we could see how long 1 load of food lasted... About 3 weeks :) ... Feeder held roughly 5 gallons of food... The new one i build holds about 3 times that much and is twice as long because we plan to add a couple more breeds of chickens... Cant be over crowding

9. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    I hit 680 yesterday with my new flock of 12 girls (4 ees & 8 Welsummers). They were hatched 4/15 & started laying in early September.

10. Hillschicks

Jul 17, 2012
    [​IMG]

This is betty... As of today, our newest layer... So production just went up :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by