Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Sonia, Jun 6, 2008.

1. Sonia

Sonia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2008
    SE Oklahoma

Last edited: Sep 25, 2008
  2. Miltonchix

Miltonchix Taking a Break

Jul 14, 2007
    Milton, Florida
    Overcrowding. Boredom. I had this problem and bought some millet spray. Gave them something to do besides pick on each other. You can get millet spray in just about any store in the pet food area. Parrot/Parakeet area in particular.

3. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    Overcrowding and boredom (as Miltonchix said) are the biggest reasons for pecking issues.

Can you give them some roosts to jump on, hang an old CD from the top and let them peck at that to give them a toy. Give them more space, if possible.

Good luck. Pecking issues can be hard to overcome once they start.

4. Sonia

Sonia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2008
    SE Oklahoma

Last edited: Sep 25, 2008
  5. Miltonchix

Miltonchix Taking a Break

Jul 14, 2007
    Milton, Florida
    I tried toys of different sorts. They were completely ignored. The millet spray (which is nothing more that millet seed still on the stalk) worked amazingly well. You have to put enough in so it doesn't become something to fight over. Theres always that one or two that "OWN" everything.
    With one brood of chicks I did have to trim beaks. I did NOT want to and then only took just the sharpest points off. I have 2 hens that I bought as "Started" (ready to lay) and the hatchery trimmed their beaks. They look terrible and have a hard time picking up small bugs. They cut approx. 1/4 of the top beak only.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by