$62.50 for an office visit for a chicken!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chickiemom25, Oct 4, 2011.

1. Chickiemom25

Chickiemom25 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    North Alabama
    I really hope this vet is the chicken whisperer at this price.. Poor Emilio is still not feeling well. Its been a week and a half since i saw an egg last. She is 5 months and was laying for 2 weeks prior. She is losing weight, is not angry when we pick her up out of the nest. No lumps like egg-bound. eats a little but mostly runs away from my White Rock. Poop looks normal. We are bringing her in the house for oats, scratch and cottage cheese every morniing and she just lays there on the sofa until we get a spoon and hold the food out to her. then she eats... Other 2 hens are doing fine so whatever it is doesnt seem contagious. I wish I knew what the problem was... local feed stores dont carry valbazen which was my next guess. Bummer being in the city sometimes.

2. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    Is that all? It sounds like you are getting off cheap.

3. upcdayz

upcdayz Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2010
    Oklahoma
    That is cheap! Last winter I took one of my hens in to see a vet after she sustained a leg injury and walked out $250 lighter after an exam and x-ray.

As for what may be going on with your chicken, sorry I can't help with that. What did the vet say?

Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
  4. froggie71

froggie71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Shamong, NJ
    We were told it cost $150 just to walk in the door to see an avian vet. Hope your Emilio is feeling better soon.

5. Chido

Chido Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    El Monte
    I spent a total of 300 dollars on a gamey mutt pullet when she got a nasty combination of yeast infection, sour crop, and a couple other infection that were affecting her tongue and crop. I treated the yeast infection and sour crop myself, but while the yeast finally fell off her tongue, she still had her tongue all nasty and bloody, and it wouldn't heal. Took two vet visits and some lab studies to finally get the right treatment for her. You really got it cheap so far XD

6. Chickiemom25

Chickiemom25 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    North Alabama
    oh that is just to walk in the door. I am fearing what the diagnostics will cost not to mention treatment...

Shame chickens are not like gold fish.. I remember standing in line at petco with dead Nemo asking the employee to "find an exact match for this fish" before my daughter got home from school. Oddly enough I wasnt the only one...... [​IMG]

7. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

I paid over 200 for a chicken once and an additional 80 for the medication to PTS.

8. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Dr. Peter Brown (the chicken doctor) is very knowledgeable about chickens--->

You could telephone 'the chicken doctor' and get a call back. Cost is $25, and it would be credited toward meds if you get them from FirstStateVet. Not the same as an office visit, but some of us don't even have access to vets who will treat chickens.

Here is a link:
    http://www.firststatevetsupply.com/content/view/15/2/

9. JP101010

JP101010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:PETER BROWN IS NOT A DOCTOR AT ALL. he is simply a guy who gives "advice" about chickens- waste of 25$ you can get free advice on here from people who have just as many years experience.

10. JP101010

JP101010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Plus what kind of "dr." can treat anything over the phone without any physical examination or diagnostics... absolutely ridiculous!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by