65 gallon aquarium as brooder?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by greenmulberry, Feb 14, 2008.

1. greenmulberry

greenmulberry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2007
    Iowa
    I am getting, at most, 6 new chicks in the spring. I have a spare 65 gallon aquarium, which is 36 inches long by 18 inches wide. So that is 4.5 square feet for 6 chicks.

Would this be a suitable brooder for 6 chicks? I worry about ventilation with the glass sides. I will have a screen mesh top.

What I like about it is that they will be very safe from my dogs and cats in this set up. I will even use the nice oak stand I have and we can sit around and watch them like fish LOL!

Last edited: Feb 14, 2008
  2. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    I asked that same question about my 55 gal tank. Paper towel for bedding. Careful about corners. put something to block the corners so the chicks dont suffocate

3. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    We used an old 100 gal. livestock water tank for 16 chicks and didn't have any problems with ventalation. It was oval in shape so I'm not sure on corners but, I see a lot of posts where they use plastic totes so I would think you'd be okay.

4. DrakeMaiden

DrakeMaiden Overrun with Drakes

Jun 8, 2007
    Kitsap County, WA
    I used a 100 gal acrylic aquarium for 7 ducklings and it worked just fine. I even covered the majority of the top openings to keep cats out and had no problems with ventilation.

You should have fun watching them. [​IMG]

5. BantyChickMom

BantyChickMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2007
    Henderson, NC
    It will be fine as long as you watch the corners and keep an eye on the temp......you don't want the excess heat to keep building.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by