$675 fee plus $75 per year to keep chickens?

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by oparea, Sep 12, 2008.

1. oparea

oparea Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2008
    Saint Marys, GA
    I recently ran into a little bit of trouble with the city regarding signage on my landscaping trailer. While the city official was over he noticed my chickens, (10 bantams) I was told I needed to apply for a livestock permit which he thought I could get since my chickens looked well taken care of but the fee would be $675 one time and then $75 a year thereafter.

Seems a little rediculous to me, so I guess now I am going to look into what the first step are to get this ordinance changed. Wish me luck, and hello to all my fellow chicken keepers. He did make it a point to tell me nobody has complained about my chickens so maybe I'll be fine unless someone complains?

2. DrakeMaiden

DrakeMaiden Overrun with Drakes

Jun 8, 2007
    Kitsap County, WA
    Welcome!

I would try to see what you can do to fight it. That is completely outrageous! I'm sure it doesn't cost that much to license a cat or dog.

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I'd fight it to change it but try not to shoot yourself in the foot if nobody knows/complains. Perhaps you only need that license if you have a min number like a "farm fee"?

Good luck!

4. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* For that kind of money, I think I'd first make it worth my while and go out and get myself at least 1O more chickens! [​IMG]

5. oparea

Sep 12, 2008
    Saint Marys, GA
    (a) Uses permitted. Property and buildings in an R-1, Single-family Residential District shall be used for the following purposes:
    (1) Single-family residences (must meet the requirements in subsection (d) below);
    (2) Parks or playgrounds;
    (3) Country clubs, golf courses;
    (4) General purpose or gardening, but not the keeping of livestock or non-domestic animals;
    (5) Accessory buildings and structures;
    (6) Home business offices.

This is the specific code, city marshall said I would have to apply for a special use permit.

(b) Special permit uses. The following uses may be permitted in accordance with provisions contained in section 110-145, and if additional conditions which may be required are met.
    (1) Public and private schools;
    (2) Public buildings and utilities;
    (3) Churches;
    (4) Day care centers or kindergartens;
    (5) General purpose farm or garden that includes the keeping of livestock or non-domestic animals;

6. oparea

Sep 12, 2008
    Saint Marys, GA
    I'm also wondering what the definition of a non-domestic animal is.

7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I'd guess things like exotics.

8. oparea

Sep 12, 2008
    Saint Marys, GA
    Quote:The wording is so vague maybe I convince them that my banties are domestic. Otherwise I guess I'll hunker down and either pay the fee or try to get the law changed

9. AngieChick

AngieChick Poultry Elitist

Your chickens would probably fall under "livestock", since they are not specifically spelled out. But, it doesn't hurt to double-check. I think that ordinance is outdated and you may find them open to changing it.

10. Emzyyy

Emzyyy Runs with Deer

Jul 14, 2008
    Derby Kansas
    I really think they should change that I think 'livestock' the word should be used if you use your chickens for their meat or eggs. If their pets its abit different and some people just have em as pets but the eggs are nice too, but I could see if you had maybe 20 or 30 chickens it might get a bit crowded.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by