6ftx6ftx6ft big enough for 15 chickens - people interfering!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by milo2145, Jul 31, 2010.

1. milo2145

milo2145 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 29, 2010
    huntsville texas
    This is a bit silly, but here goes.

I have 15 chickens, I originally had 5, and built a coop big enough for them, but my MIL decided she wanted a few, then my son and daughter wanted a couple more, so needless to say they have outgrown their coop.

my MIL gave me $200 to build them a new coop seeing as it was her who overoccupied my coop, and I found a playhouse for $100 which was 6x6x6, then I was going to attatch a run with the other $100.

now MIL and FIL are saying, no that will not be big enough, they want it at least double the size!, and they want me to build it?!!!, they will "help" of course, but seeing as they are both in their late 70's and my MIL doesn't venture outside for more than a minute at a time there is not going to be much help, hence the ready built playhouse.

Anyway seeing as I will be the one making it, I am the one looking after the chickens and cleaning it, I think I should be the one choosing it - and I think this amount of space is fine, maybe I am wrong?....

more of a vent than anything else/!

2. Baymen Moe

Baymen Moe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2009
    Pembroke, Ma.
    You'll get many opinions on this, here is mine. A tad small I think for 15 birds unless your in a warmer climate and they can free range or have access to a very large run. I started with 15 birds in my 8x8 and still had some pecking issues to deal with. I was within the 4sq ft per bird rule but that doesn't always work. I say go bigger if you can.

3. mburpo

mburpo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2010
    Paragon, IN
    So, you're the one boarding, feeding, caring for, and building the coop/run? I'd say it's 100% up to you. If they want it bigger, tell them to give you more money. [​IMG]

4. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    The rule of thumb is at least 4 square feet per bird in the coop, and 10 square feet per bird in the run.

5. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

6X6 gives you 36 sq ft... divide that by the suggest 4 sq ft per bird (these are large fowl? - layers I presume? Or bantams) that means technically 9 birds can fit in that space....Though if you get snowy cold winters - I'd look at 6-7 birds. To house 15 chickens together - you'd need atleast 60 sq ft so 10X6 or something of that nature.

Hope this helps. Run space for 15 chickens is ideally atleast 10 sq ft per bird - so 150 sq ft. If you push the # of birds per sq ft you'll run into peckers and pluckers - and that can get ugly. And less eggs because you have less than happy chickens.

If they are still young and small - I'd say the 6X6 would be good for the moment while you build a second one the same size to seperate the flock or a second full sized coop for them all.

Good luck! Hope I helped

6. sunflowerenvy

sunflowerenvy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    south/west tn
    sorry but u need a bigger coop n run

in coop it is 4 sq ft per bird not including a nest boxes your coop size need to be at least 60 sq ft like 8x10 ft coop and 4 nesting boxes
    the run is 10 ft per bird the run need to be 150 ft like a 10x15ft.

at least 3one gallon water feeders and 2 food feeder.
    laura

7. txliss

txliss Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2008
    I have an idea! (yup the hamster wheel is smoking away today [​IMG])

Do you have a way to connect the two coops? If you have the playhouse on one end of the run, and your existing coop on the other end, would you have enough space? Obviously, there could be several ways to set that up depending on your available area....both coops side by side, one on each end, etc... The trick would be teaching one group of birds to accept a new home... If your run has to be built anyway, you may be able to come up with a way to do that..

Just a thought.[​IMG]

8. RockwaterFarm

RockwaterFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2010
    East Hartland, CT
    mine is 8x4x7 and houses 30 chickens
    yours is plenty big
    my run in 10x12x8 but my chickens are in most of the time
    just put toosts in and the chickens will perch giving more room

9. nelgkel

nelgkel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    FL
    I like txliss's idea of putting the current coop on one end and the playhouse on the other end with the run in the middle...

Depending on where you live will help determine if this will work. I only have a 4foot by 8foot coop and we have 16 chickens, BUT we live in FL~run is 12 foot by 16 foot...

Do what is best for you and your situation! YOU are the one caring for them and got the most for your money by getting a playhouse on CL..
    KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK and don't stress... [​IMG]

10. milo2145

milo2145 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 29, 2010
    huntsville texas
    thanks all - well looks like in laws were right then, and I have to eat humble pie!

a couple of people asked where we live, we live in south texas, it is very hot and the chickens are 100% free range. all the chickens apart from 3 chicks are large laying types, I guess we will make the double size coop!

at the moment they are in a 4x1x3 small coop, which I just about have to shoehorn them into at night!, but so far no pecking or anything

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by