6mo. Barred Rock Pullet? Or...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by HollyDelightly, Oct 25, 2013.

1. HollyDelightly

HollyDelightly Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2013
    What do you guys think? No crowing yet, but her/his voice just dropped today and the anticipation is driving me crazy!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
  2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    From the lighting and background it's hard to tell but I think I see curved tail feathers and pointy wing feathers.
    I would think at 6 months it would be obvious though. I don't see any spurs either.

3. goldfinches

goldfinches Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Maryland
    Are you sure it's 6 months old? Looks like a cockerel, but not that old, to me.

4. HollyDelightly

Apr 11, 2013
    I was told she/he was born around 5/1, so I rounded up a little, but I got him/her about a month ago so I can't know for sure.

5. TaraBellaBirds

TaraBellaBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2013
    SW Kansas
    I would say definite roo and I agree with the above, not sure it's six months old.

6. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Agree. Looks a bit younger. Additionally, his breeding isn't all that good, so we're seeing mottled barring and a darker overall look. I'd say cockerel. Not standard bred Barred Rock. With two barring genes, a BR cockerel of that age should look like this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Nutmeg101

Nutmeg101 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2013
    Georgia
    I am FAR from an expert- my guess is a Roo. My BR was very round and hen like at 5 months, no curved tail. I was looking for a good pic of her from that age- [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Her head is blurry- but you can see her tail feathers ok- I think.

8. HollyDelightly

Apr 11, 2013
    Haha, I'm relieved to see it's an overall consistent response, even if it's the less ideal answer. [​IMG] And so much for that blue ribbon he brought home from the state fair for good breeding! [​IMG]

9. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

[​IMG]

The lack of the double barring gene, required for a BR male, makes his over all look dark. Plus, the barring is blotchy. This likely indicates that he is a cross. The tell tale sign is the gold/red/brown leakage in the wing. Unless that is merely a photographic anomaly, those red/brown feather indicated leakage of the gold/red of the other portion of his genetic makeup.

If this bird had a red comb and red wattles at 7 weeks of age? It is indeed a male. Males show that characteristic very early. Pullet don't normally show any comb or wattles development until they are much older, around 14 weeks.

1 person likes this.
  10. HollyDelightly

Apr 11, 2013
    Fred's Hens, those males are beautiful! I'll have to give him another look, but I think the gold/red is just sunshine sneaking in.

Found a photo of him when I got him two months ago-

[​IMG]

Compared to the others his age at the fair, the comb and wattles were less red, but I'm still new to this. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by