6month old black buff Silkie pullet or cockerel?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ecb4156, Oct 16, 2019.

1. Pullet :)

6 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Cockerel :(

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Unsure :/

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. ecb4156

ecb4156 Chirping

May 12, 2019
    I’ve posted about onyx before but I thought I’d ask again to be sure that she is a female. She’s very sweet and affectionate unlike my known silkie cockerel. She has a very small comb and no waddles. Please tell me what you think! She’s 6 months now. Also when do silkies start laying? Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Braves06

Braves06 Chirping

Oct 13, 2019
    Tennnessee
    Looks like pullet to me

chickens really likes this.
  3. Duck_life

Duck_life Crowing

May 14, 2019
    Woods of PA
    Can you take comb pictures? I'm sure it is a pullet if she hasn't crowed yet, sometimes silkies can trick you though. I'm going with pullet.

Mybackyardpeepers likes this.
  4. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

I'm thinking Pullet too. Very cute..

EggSighted4Life and Duck_life like this.
  5. Mybackyardpeepers

Mybackyardpeepers Crowing

Mar 22, 2019
    Michigan
    I agree need a better comb/face picture. I have a silkie I'm finally guessing is a boy because of comb.

Duck_life likes this.
  6. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Free Ranging

Onyx, at 6 months old... I can confidently say is a pullet... And NOT because she hasn't crowed as that is an individual personality thing and my friend had a very clear LF cockerel... who didn't make his first crow until almost 2 years old! Then suddenly this season he found his voice. ;)

That gal there though... she isn't sporting a mullet, sometimes referred to as streamers when first coming in. But she also does NOT have the long saddle feathers that males will usually be sporting quite well by this age... even Silkies. Stance is also pullet style. So while none of these clues may mean anything by themselves... added together, I think it's a clear picture! :celebrate

How late they lay will depend on several things including line, feed, day light hours, time of year they hatch, etc... I have had my line lay as early as about 20 weeks when hatched super early in spring and as late as 8 months. I have heard tell of others not laying until maybe a year old or more! And I have had other breeds not lay until 9+ months, that went through mini molts or what have you despite being provided for properly... they do what their hormones tell them not what our books say they should. :hmm

I also have to wonder if breeds with large crests are getting light blocked out extra and delaying onset of lay. :confused: But 24 weeks (or 6 months) is still a tad early this time of year in my experience... for Silkies. :pop

7. Duck_life

Duck_life Crowing

May 14, 2019
    Woods of PA
    :goodpost: Good explanation !!

Mybackyardpeepers likes this.
  8. ecb4156

ecb4156 Chirping

May 12, 2019
    :pop:love:love
    I love how you wrote everything out! Thank you for explaining so much!!!:love:pop

Duck_life and EggSighted4Life like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: