6month old orpingtons in a new home

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by woodtrucker, Dec 7, 2012.

1. woodtrucker

woodtrucker Out Of The Brooder

Nov 28, 2012
    My six month old orpingtons have been in their new home for about a week and a half. Looks like about the last 4 days they have been in one of the nest boxes sitting but no eggs yet. Is this a good sign that eggs are on the way if they are at least sitting in the nest boxes? The last three to four nights they have also all been getting on the roosting poles together. The first few nights I had to put them up on the roost poles but now they know where to go so I know they aren't sitting in next box at night.
    Every morning I open the coop the ladies hop down off the nest poles and greet me at the door on the run. They seem to be eating and drinking quite well and the kids and I give them some treats throughout the day. black oil sunflower, scratch, and veggie scraps are on the menu for treats! A couple birds are eating scratch out of my hand so they seem comfortable. I'm just hoping it wont be spring before I see an egg but if it takes that long, I guess I can say I let them lay on their own terms. As if I have a choice!!! [​IMG]

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    They sound nicely settled in! I would guess you will see some eggs before spring. Watch for their combs and wattles to turn a brighter red, from increased hormones.

3. woodtrucker

Nov 28, 2012
    Thanks Flockwatcher, yeah they are still sort of pinkish color right now.The owner I bought them from said they had started to lay so I've been feeding them layer crumbles just in case. I have not started them on any oyster shell (just grit for now) until I start seeing some eggs.
    I love chickens! [​IMG]

4. ms4runr

ms4runr Out Of The Brooder

I am new to chickens and got bluffs also. They stop laying, if they were, any time you move them. It took over a month for my 1 yr+ hen to start, and then another week for the 6 mo. old (her siblings were not moved and started at 4 mos.) Give them time. I would recommend a light as the days get shorter. Mine did start after I put one in.

5. woodtrucker

Nov 28, 2012
    thanks for the feedback!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by