6mth old chick with pecking wound

Jadedx

In the Brooder
Jan 21, 2019
Hello, I recently added two 6mth old hens to my existing flock of three girls. I had my chicks in quarantine then introduced in a separate pen before transitioning into the main coop. They have been with the adults for a week when they went after my lil Cochin. I found her hiding under the hanging feededer with a wound to the top of her head. The wound is from today so it is fresh. I brought her inside and cleaned the wound and applied Neosporin. I have her in a cage inside by herself. I brought the other chick inside also, but in a dog crate to keep her safe. My question is what type of antibiotics can I use and dosage? How do I give a "bird" oral meds? (I have experience medicating dogs and cats.) She is drinking water and is resting at the moment. I attached pics of the wound and her hospital cage.

Attachments

• 0121191445_HDR.jpg
    0121191445_HDR.jpg
    366 KB · Views: 15
  • 0121191516.jpg
    0121191516.jpg
    550.8 KB · Views: 14
She shouldn't need anything beyond a wound treat spray. Antibiotics are for when an infection sets in which doesn't happen often in chickens. I have seen some horrible wounds heal up.

Are all the birds bantams too?

She shouldn't need anything beyond a wound treat spray. Antibiotics are for when an infection sets in which doesn't happen often in chickens. I have seen some horrible wounds heal up.

Are all the birds bantams too?
Only 1 other is a bantam and I think she was the aggressor. She was the only one that didn't seem happy about newcomers. I thought she was lonely after we lost her sister to an attack. The other 2 adults are Barred Rocks. The other chick I removed is a bantam mix.

Only 1 other is a bantam and I think she was the aggressor. She was the only one that didn't seem happy about newcomers. I thought she was lonely after we lost her sister to an attack. The other 2 adults are Barred Rocks. The other chick I removed is a bantam mix.
My avatar is a pic of the adults. I'm assuming I need to wait till the chicks are full adult size to introduce again. I introduced at night

Yes, waiting until they are bigger might be good. Then introduce them gradually through fencing or a large dog crate inside the coop. I agree, that I would not use antibiotics, but just keep the wound clean with either Vetricyn Spray or dab it with plain saline, and keeping it moist with plain Neosporin Ointment twice a day. Her wound will eventually heal and her feathers will grow back in, but that will take a month or more. Once her feathers start coming in, I would keep some BluKote on the new feathers, so that she doesn’t get them pecked out.

My avatar is a pic of the adults. I'm assuming I need to wait till the chicks are full adult size to introduce again. I introduced at night
It's best to pen birds where existing birds can get used to them through the fence. I personally never rush integration. The older the new ones the generally longer it takes, but all birds are different. When I introduce new chicks each year it takes about 6 weeks before I feel comfortable leaving them out full time.

How big is your coop and run? The smaller it is, the harder it will be to add birds.

It will take a month or so for your bird to heal up fully. After that start slow with introductions. Putting them in at night sometimes works but it's often a recipe for disaster as existing birds attack new birds which they see as intruders into their territory.

Chicken doing well with wound cleaning and topical antibiotics. My oldest daughter has been helping out.

Attachments

• 0123192037.jpg
    0123192037.jpg
    353.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 0123192036.jpg
    0123192036.jpg
    423.1 KB · Views: 8

Back
Top Bottom