6wk chicks outside 35deg temp, no heat?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MineAlways, Apr 11, 2012.

1. MineAlways

MineAlways Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2012
    SW PA
    Okay so my six, 6 week old chicks are fully feathered except the male he is still trying to catch up and his back is his coming in.
    This is their first night out. The coop is not quite done yet and it is still really cold here but they had to move out of my house lol. They were out growing their inside cage and starting to bicker with each other.

So I took an old rabbit hutch and put it on the back porch. I put the hardware cloth open face side facing towards the house. I also placed some carpet on the other window.
    So no wind.
    The temp is going to get down to 35 degree tonight its 37 right now. I had read to put a heat lamp on them if its this cold.... but I went to plug in the lamp and its burnt out. Its the red kind and what I had on them raising them.
    I then thought put a reg white bulb in and they went NUTS. running around picking at each other crazy.
    So do I leave the white light on them or do I turn it off ?

Sorry so long winded just wanted to explain all circumstances

PS and I have read and searched for all age and outside threads but most say to put a heat lamp on them at this age and this temp.
    Thanks guys

EDITED to add: I have 6 chicks

Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
  2. Panth

Panth Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2012
    Indiana
    yeek, you don't say how many chicks you have....if you have more than 6 they probably can use each other for body heat, but that is still pretty young not to have heat.

3. MineAlways

Feb 27, 2012
    SW PA
    I forgot that didnt I . I have 6 chicks

4. Chook-A-Holic

Chook-A-Holic Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Central, N.C.
    If they were mine I would move them back into the house until you get another lamp or the nightly temps are a little higher. They will be severely stressed or may even die with that much of a temperature change so fast at their age.

5. Panth

Mar 5, 2012
    Indiana
    I have 14 5-week old babies right now that are outside. They have access to a heat lamp and wind proof coop, but when I worked late one night this week, I came home to find them all huddled in a bundle out in chicken run and it was snowing out [​IMG]. I was super worried about them, but they were all fine and toasty when I went and picked them up. They generate a LOT of heat.

PS. I have heard of people putting hot water bottles in with them when a heat lamp is out of the question.

6. MineAlways

Feb 27, 2012
    SW PA
    I brought them back inside. The cage inside is getting way to small for them so I only put in the water. I will give them food in the morning and get a new heat lamp.
    Thanks everyone! My poor chicks first night out major fail :( hopefully tomorrow night is more successful.

I will be honest I have wanted to go to bed hours ago but I have been to worried but I kept telling myself they will be fine and I was babying them. I am glad I came here and thanks guys!

7. Panth

Mar 5, 2012
    Indiana
    Better to be safe than sorry. It will be better if you can do it in stages to wean them off the heat. Good Luck with the little fuzzies!!

8. MineAlways

Feb 27, 2012
    SW PA

Yea I agree better safe. I have been putting them outside in 50-40 deg weather for an hour or 2 each day for the last 2 weeks. Always in the sun and out of wind. They have been loving it. And they have not had a heat lamp on them now for a good 2- 2 1/2 weeks. I wouldnt just put them out side for the night with no warning. I just thought my heat lamp would work

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by