6wk old chick with sour crop

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by just2rosey, Jul 7, 2011.

1. just2rosey

just2rosey Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2011
    New Kent
    I just found one of my chicks acting depressed and lethargic. When I picked it up it felt lighter than I expected and it crop felt like a balloon -big soft and squishy. I brought it into the house to isolate it, and it also has watery but other wise normal poops. Do watery poops go with sour crop? I mixed up some water with molasses and vitamins for it, and gave it a dropper full of colloidal silver water as well, before I started reading. I went back a palpated the crop and the chick 'threw up' most of the water. I don't feel any hard impactions. What do you think I should do? I have never had this problem before. I am a bit unsure what to do. Thanks for any help.

2. Blue_Myst

Blue_Myst Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    It sounds like some kind of crop problem. The poo with less "substance" is definitely an indicator.

It's good you don't feel anything hard, but you're probably going to have to start getting that swelling down to know for certain. Most BYC'ers use Apple Cider Vinegar in the water to cure sour crop. Just put a tablespoon or two per gallon of water. In severe cases, anti-fungal drugs may be needed.

The molasses and vitamins was a good idea. Hopefully it will keep her on her feet long enough for you to treat her.

If she ends up getting a lot worse, there are more drastic things to try. I know people who have held the hen upside down and allowed the liquid to drain from the crop, but this should be done as a very last resort, as the hen could potentially aspirate and die. Others do a "crop flush," but I can't tell you too much about it.

Hope this helps! [​IMG] Please keep us updated on how she's doing!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by