6wk old glw and australorps

Magical Mermaid

In the Brooder
May 9, 2016
Yarrow, British Columbia, Canada
Hoping you chicken experts can tell me the sex of these 6-7wk gwl's and australorps.

Bird A)

Bird B)

Bird C)

Bird D)

This is my 9week old EE. Pretty sure it's a girl but would love any opinions

This is my welsummer, Wellington. Was told she's a girl but I thought it was a boy it's about 9weeks maybe 10

Everyone looks female except the 9 week EE. That's a pretty funky type of comb, so I'm not positive on that bird. Plus, I think I'm seeing the start of red patches on the wings? If so, it's male.

The Welsummer is definitely a female. A male would have different coloring, notably a black breast.

Thank you guys! Yes the EE has some gorgeous almost ruby red feathers coming in. I have another EE from the same hatch. I think, the breeder i got my 6 EEs from gave me a jenky story about how 1 died but then it didnt but then it did but then when i went to pick them up i had all 6 of my ordered chicks... so who knows if its even an EE. The one above doesnt have the puffy cheeks that my other EEs have anyways I have a second black "EE" with a really big comb and some serious wattles coming in with some gorgeous ruby feathers filling in In spots. I thought cause there was no comb that maybe the one pictured was a girl. Lol this is my first year with ducks n chickens I'm such a newb

Everyone looks female except the 9 week EE. That's a pretty funky type of comb, so I'm not positive on that bird. Plus, I think I'm seeing the start of red patches on the wings? If so, it's male. 

The Welsummer is definitely a female. A male would have different coloring, notably a black breast. 

What makes the red on the wings tell you for sure a boy? I've never heard or read that before. Super interesting.

Different comb styles can make it hard for newer folks to tell gender. If you're looking for the classic big sawtooth straight comb, and your bird has say a pea or rose comb, it may be an obvious male to an experienced eye but not to yours. We see that a lot here. Plus, pea or rose combed birds don't have as much wattles (the red that hangs down under the head) as a straight combed bird does. Again, makes folks think not rooster.

Red on the wings is a male trait in coloring. When you mix colors, you get some pretty patterns but they're different on males and females. When you mix say black and red, you wind up with a mostly black bird with red leakage. A female's leakage will be red at the throat/neck/chest, and in a smooth, even pattern. The male's will be around the collar, on the wings/shoulders, and the saddle feathers. The wings are usually the first place it shows up, and spreads as they age.

Lots of Easter eggers from hatcheries are mixed colors and can be sexed by color pattern using this guideline. It does take a practiced eye to see it, and I'm not even going to guess at how many hours I've spend on this site looking at pictures of birds and learning this stuff, as well as looking at my own birds over the last 20+ years.

different comb styles....

Back
Top Bottom