6x6 coop + 12x6 run

DaisyG2317

Crowing
Jul 14, 2020
🌷🌷🌷
After some issues with a "coop builder" who claimed he could build a Carolina Coop copycat for significantly less and then changed the price, I have had to scrap those plans and go another route. I am having a shed style coop built, 6x6, with an attached 12x6 run. I know this is plenty for the 4 chickens I currently have, but I just want to verify that the typical sq.ft requirements are 4 per bird for the inside and 10 for the outside. With that being said, I am looking at a max amount of 7 chickens that would fit comfortably in this space, correct?

I don't want to go too big because I will be tempted to get more chickens and there are only so many eggs my husband and I alone can eat!🐔

That should work. As long as you account for the ‘chicken math’ factor when you start to finalize it all. I am struggling with this now but my budget is negating the affects of said math.
Ah yes, the math. We live in a rural neighborhood that allows 6 chickens but I'm sure I could sneak in that extra one:oops:

After they are grown and fully integrated it would be enough room. But integration takes more room that after they are integrated. Integration is where you would probably have issues. There are techniques to help with that but lack of space makes it harder.
Yes, I think for now the 4 ladies we have are plenty. Just planning for the future 👍 that way I can get 6 or 7 in one go.

Integration is where you would probably have issues.
Do not take this advice lightly....adding more birds takes extra space.

Space for housing might depend on your climate....
..... and how predator and weather proof your run is.
Nothing worse than a crowded chicken habitat....BTDT.
Soooo....Welcome to BYC! @DaisyG2317
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1595622270250.png

Do not take this advice lightly....adding more birds takes extra space.

Space for housing might depend on your climate....
..... and how predator and weather proof your run is.
Nothing worse than a crowded chicken habitat....BTDT.
Soooo....Welcome to BYC! @DaisyG2317
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 2260326
Thanks! I'm in the Stillaguamish Valley in Northwest Washington state.

Back
Top Bottom