6yo Barred Rock with sour crop?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by geowoman, Apr 19, 2019.

1. geowoman

geowoman Songster

Feb 23, 2013
    Magnolia, TX
    Hi there - I found my favorite girl, Dottie, lethargic this morning and making a snoring sound. The sound eventually stopped by mid-day but the lethargy continued. She has not eaten anything today but had a lot of water before heading in and going to bed tonight. (She got up and roosted with her friends.) I picked her up and a foul-smelling liquid came out. Obviously sour crop, it's unmistakable. I palpated her crop and felt absolutely nothing in there. She continued to spit up the liquid. Questions:

1. your favorite sour crop treatment - I'm guessing I"ll isolate her with ACV water and yogurt, but does anyone use the yeast infection suppositories or oregano oil, etc?

2. I have noticed her "snoring" at night for a few weeks. I'm wondering if there is an underlying condition. Thoughts on that?

Thanks so much!

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Crop problems are often a symptom of an underlying condition - reproductive disorders, worms, coccidiosis and infection are a few.

You don't mention whether she is still laying eggs? Have you noticed if she's having any swelling/bloat or fluid in the abdomen.

The snoring is a bit concerning - have you looked inside the beak and throat for any indication of canker, plaques or lesions.

These 2 articles are ones that I would use as guidelines for treatment of crop problems. Miconizole either suppository or cream is often used to treat sour crop, both discuss that. One has a bit more details, while the other one is a quick snapshot of treatment.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
    http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/impacted-slow-and-sour-crops-prevention-and-treatments

geowoman and coach723 like this.
  3. geowoman

geowoman Songster

Feb 23, 2013
    Magnolia, TX
    Thanks Wyorp Rock! I don't see anything inside her mouth. I almost wonder if there's a blockage somewhere. She had some yogurt with monistat and some water with ACV this morning and a lot of it didn't stay down. When she would drink, the yogurt fell into the water.

Wyorp Rock likes this.
  4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    That doesn't sound too good.

Is she still laying eggs? She may have a blockage or she might have some swelling from reproductive problems that's slowing down the process.

geowoman likes this.
  5. geowoman

geowoman Songster

Feb 23, 2013
    Magnolia, TX
    I haven't seen her lay in a while, but I'm not sure. Her sister laid the other day, so I suppose its possible. I don't feel any swelling in her abdomen. I"ve had a few chickens with reproductive issues and I'm familiar with that kind of swelling. I really don't feel anything, which makes me wonder if something is trapped higher up? Can a yeast infection cause a blockage like that?

Wyorp Rock likes this.
  6. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    She may have a blocked gizzard or part of the intestines blocked.
    Usually sour crop is the result of food not moving through the system, it essentially sits and sours/ferments and becomes yeasty.

If interested, she may be suffering from something like this. The photo is in post#6-7 showing what was found blocking the intestines after necropsy.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/sour-crop-in-bantam.1258459/

geowoman likes this.
  7. geowoman

geowoman Songster

Feb 23, 2013
    Magnolia, TX
    Oof. That sounds right on. Crud. Thank you!

Wyorp Rock likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: